Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I underrated?
No 34 85.00%
Yes 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Help an Old Man With Bad Eyesight Multi-table

If you play on a party skin and want it, PM me your email address and I'll send you a mod that I designed to be easy on the eyes:

Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 AM

I play 6 tables on a 17" CRT 1920X1200 resolution, i sit really close to my screen around 20".
Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 PM

What malo said. Measure the distance to your monitor and have glasses made for that distance. And do measure -- I've had two eye doctors go "Hmm. That seems pretty far away for a computer monitor." They relented when I told them it was a 21 inch screen.

My 50+ year old eyes can't read the screen without them but are 20/20 with.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are lots of modifications out there for the images of cards and suchlike on certain sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would help and I'll look it up. The bigger issue is making room for the overlay text from the heads up display. All my screen backgrounds are black.

~ Rick
Old 08-10-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick....I'm a nearly 51 year old woman with similar eyesight woes. Nearsighted since age 10, and now getting the middle age farsightedness to go with it. Currently I wear contacts and use the cheapie OTC magnifying reading glasses. The reading glasses are with my optometrists OK.....says as long as that works well for me, go ahead.

However, when I got my last exam and new lenses, the doctor suggested a pair taylored specifically for computer work. You will need to tell them exactly how far you sit from your monitor.....use a tape measure and check before you go for the exam......and they will optimize the correction for that distance. I love mine for playing.....and they still work fine for overall nearsighted correction.

Might be worth a shot to talk to you doctor, and see what he could fix you up with.

(It is nice to know I'm not the only...ummm..."older" person lurking around here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm farsighted with a little astigmatism and wear extended wear contacts that correct the farsightedness but not the astigmatism (bifocal contacts must be taken out at night). Even with contacts or regular glasses I strain to read without extra help though so I've worn different strength drugstore readers around the house (on top of contacts) and keep an ultra slim pair in a case when I go out. For late at night reading I go as high as +2.5. When I clean my contacts once a week I wear readers over my regular thick glasses (glasses to correct farsightedness are thick) and really look silly but I stay in that night.

Last visit I got a script for computer work (to be worn in addition to contacts), which is a low power reader that corrects the astigmatism and has a little magnification (+1.25). I got some heavy duty ones for around the house and stylish rimless ones for going out because they seem to be neutral for distance but help a lot close up and middle distances (such as playing poker).

I'm a little unsure whether I'm a good candidate for laser but will look into it in a few years. I'd have no problem if laser corrected most problems but I still had to carry around a pair of slim readers.

~ Rick

PS 51 is older only on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 02:45 PM

My tables are already blacked out (per a download from pokermods.com) but my mods have a thin line where the table is. I do like the cards though so I'm PM'g you my email.

~ Rick
Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 PM

No
Old 08-10-2005, 03:32 PM

wish I could help more Rick (I voted). gl!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 PM

During my last eye exam I complained that I could sort of see the monitor okay, but couldn't see much of anything closer. Trying to write (with a pen) was quite an adventure since all I could see was a blur. They set me up with progressive lens reading glasses. The lens continuously changes so I can focus to about two feet in the middle of the lens down to about a foot at the bottom of the lens. They work great, though I started to feel like a bobble-head doll moving my head up and down trying to find the right spot for the distance I was trying to see. I'm not sure if they can make something like that work for your astigmatism, but it's worth asking about.

On a side note, I read a few weeks ago about a new procedure (could still be experimental) where they zap your lens (the one in your eye) with ultrasound. This results in the lens loosening up and allowing you to once again focus on close objects. Long term side effects are not currently known. The other downside is they have to insert the ultrasound emitter into your eyeball. Basically, they stick a needle in your eye. One would assume they deaden the eye first, but the whole idea of a needle in my eye is enough to make me think wearing reading glasses isn't so bad afterall.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other downside is they have to insert the ultrasound emitter into your eyeball. Basically, they stick a needle in your eye. One would assume they deaden the eye first, but the whole idea of a needle in my eye is enough to make me think wearing reading glasses isn't so bad afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, stuff like that is for wusses. My dad had his eye surgery when it was pretty new stuff. They Dr. actually pressed a stirup looking thing (star shaped - think like the little fingers that float out from "sun" drawing) against his eye and then made incisions where the marks were to relieve the pressure. Sick, eh? Now they use "LASERs" (that was a doctor evil "laser") and stuff. Meh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]