Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Raising Preflop

When I raise preflop I am not hoping people will fold. Ever. In fact, when I play poker, I am not hoping anything; this is aside from the point.

When I raise AK UTG I want 9 callers. When I raise J10s on the button I want 2 callers.

I do not want to thin the field. I raise for value. Thinning the field is a myth.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Raising Preflop

would a play like isolating a LAG type player when he raises by 3 betting with 66 be an exception?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:13 PM

At the tables I play at (loose and passive) I seldom have the occasion to make a play like this. Also, I think that type of play is highly over rated. I would be more apt to isolate a player who wants to fold alot than one who likes to bet and raise.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:18 PM

If this is your way of thinking, you may have an area of your game to work on.

You have JKo in MP2 with position on a loose passive fish, and tight players behind you. He open-limps, you...

You have J7s on the Button with tight blinds, it's folded to you and you...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 PM

#1 - Raise. The first opponent has a hand weaker than me and JKo plays favourably against the remaining opponents. They are probably NOT folding AJ or KQ if I raise so I am not forcing out a better hand by raising but that doesn't matter. Most of the time they have worse hands and I almost certainly have the first player beat.

#2 - I fold. J9s I would raise here.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:22 PM

Its well know that some hands like big pairs and big off suit cards play better in pots contested by few players, because thier expected value and pot equity go down as more opponents are added.

Tell me how you play AA when you raise and receive 9 callers? I would much raither have an 80% equity to win a 5BB pot then a 10% equity to win a 14 or 15BB pot.

Of course a hand like AKs or KQs love big pots, they play well multi-way. but hands like KQo, KJo, or JJ do not.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 PM

"Its well know that some hands like big pairs and big off suit cards play better in pots contested by few players, because thier expected value and pot equity go down as more opponents are added."

Prove it. This is not well known by me.

"but hands like KQo, KJo, or JJ do not. "
KJo doesn't like multiway pots because it's dominated by AQo when not AK / bigger pair is out and JJ when no bigger pair is out love big pots. Don't they? Prove it one way or the other.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I raise preflop I am not hoping people will fold. Ever. In fact, when I play poker, I am not hoping anything; this is aside from the point.

When I raise AK UTG I want 9 callers. When I raise J10s on the button I want 2 callers.

I do not want to thin the field. I raise for value. Thinning the field is a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you want everyone to call you when you have AA? KK?
all those A rags that hit or ragged 2 pairs?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM

Yes I do want everyone to call when I have AA. 2 pair is like 35:1 to hit you're welcome to take a shot at hitting it.

Also, if you have 1 ace rag in, you want 2 more in, because they're only going to win when they hit their ace, so the more the merrier.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:31 PM

When I have AA or KK or AK and I get more than 3 callers preflop, I expect to lose the hand (and a lot of chips) more often than not. I'd rather win a small pot than lose a big one. Usually I'm comfortable with 3-4 callers, any more and I expect to lose. When I have AK I definitely don't want the whole table to call because my equity shrinks big time and the whole table will have odds to call to the river and there will be several "miracle" cards instead of 2-4 cards that will hit the turn or river (assuming an A or K flops for us) to lose the hand.

Maybe it's just a matter of perspective. I generally do too much "protecting" of the pot by getting aggressive on the flop with my good hands. I should be waiting to raise the turn or river more often, but I always get antsy and fearful, raising the flop to define mine and my opponents' hands so I don't spew on the turn or river. This aspect of my game I need to work on.