Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 AM

Default JJ in SB, reraisd flop.

Ok, I backed off to the reraise on the flop. Was this the right way to play the hand? I thought he might have a set of 9's. I had no reads on the player other than he was a bit semi loose aggressive in his play after watching/playing for 16 hands.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: JJ in SB, reraisd flop.

I think you should toss in a raise here either on the flop or on hte turn. Right now you have very little information about MP2's hand. He might have a set, or maybe A9.

Personally I would 3-bet the flop. If he caps I think I would call down/fold depending on read. But most people would openraise with 99 from MP2, and he openlimped so x9s is probably more likely.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 AM

3-bet the flop and call down if capped. You're giving villain too much credit here. He almost an unknown.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:41 AM

I don't think villain even has to have a 9 for him to be raising. A lot of times with a low pair on the flop, I will raise if I have a low to mid PP against 1 pf raiser as they very well are playing AK/AQ/KQ and betting automatically on the flop. So if I were you, I would 3 bet here and bet the turn if not capped.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think villain even has to have a 9 for him to be raising.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2005, 08:03 AM

the 9 point was referring to a later poster who put the villain on A9 or a set of 9's. I should say I don't think the flop needed to connect with the villain (so he doesn't have to have a 3 either) for him to raise
Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the 9 point was referring to a later poster who put the villain on A9 or a set of 9's. I should say I don't think the flop needed to connect with the villain (so he doesn't have to have a 3 either) for him to raise

[/ QUOTE ]
This will be a bluf some of the time, but more often an inferior PP. That would be a pretty standard raise for me.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 AM

This is not a reraise on the flop, it is a raise.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM

As others have said, you really shouldn't start worrying that Villain flopped a boat after one flop raise. (In fact, some players with 99 or a 3 would wait until the turn to spring into action.) For all Villain knows, you just have AJ.

Villain doesn't seem so in love with his hand (I'm judging from the river check behind), but I think there's a good chance you would have won 1 1/2 more BBs if you'd 3-bet the flop and then led the turn and river. I think most 2/4 players will pay you off with a worse pocket pair or nines up, on that board.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:26 AM

3-bet the flop or call and checkraise the turn. you are ahead almost always and you missed a ton of bets, not good.