Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Finally saw the Andrew Black crying part on ESPN.. WTF?

The only partial excuse that I would be able to come up for the guy would be from the marathon/lack-of-sleep nature of the whole thing.
That can mess you up a bit.

But still.....it's a bit over the top and silly. (I still haven't seen it....will have to catch it on it's 97th re-run I suppose).
Old 11-08-2005, 04:22 PM

That's what I think it has to be. Lack of sleep + a lot of stress = a partial breakdown over a minor thing. Obviously we don't know the entire story, but this is a reasonable explanation.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:37 PM

It was very sneaky editing on ESPN to make it look like he was crying for another guy. The truth is, as it happened at the Rio, he was penalized for something but I can't recall what it was. Then he cried over it because it was so unfair. Then they edited it to make it look like the story they wanted to tell.

They're probably planning to make him out to be a good guy while at the same time making Matusow out to be the bad guy which is ridiculous. The editing supports the stories that they want to tell.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:27 AM

um, thats not how cardplayer reported it.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 AM

The wierd thing is I can kind of sympathize with Andy Black. I'm not insinuating that it's rational but I could see myself having a similar reaction.

Everyone is playing for the most money in their life and it's still a fair game. However one guy made a mistake with the dinner break, and his chips are diminishing without him even getting a chance to play the game.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The wierd thing is I can kind of sympathize with Andy Black. I'm not insinuating that it's rational but I could see myself having a similar reaction.

Everyone is playing for the most money in their life and it's still a fair game. However one guy made a mistake with the dinner break, and his chips are diminishing without him even getting a chance to play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was playing for that much money I don't think I'd leave the table.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was very sneaky editing on ESPN to make it look like he was crying for another guy. The truth is, as it happened at the Rio, he was penalized for something but I can't recall what it was. Then he cried over it because it was so unfair. Then they edited it to make it look like the story they wanted to tell.

They're probably planning to make him out to be a good guy while at the same time making Matusow out to be the bad guy which is ridiculous. The editing supports the stories that they want to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. The asian guy misunderstood the length of the dinner break (it was reported that the break was shorter than it had been previously) and after the tournament director refused to hold up the play AB wanted the table to slow play until the guy came back and was upset when they didn't agree. I felt that ESPN edited this to show AB in a very negative way.

I think that AB was wrong to insist that the table slow play though because the blinds would still be going up and short stacked players would be hurt. Also, it really is up to each player to be aware of the rules. I was flabbergasted last year when what's his name overslept and the director had someone go and find him. I just don't think that the director should be getting involved in things like that. People need to be responsible for their actions - especially with millions on the line.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 AM

It was my understanding that the Asian guy was confused for a good reason. Since there were numerous tournaments going on, I think they announced the dinner break over the speakers for a different tournament, and he got confused.

I get the point about letting the guy oversleep, but this was a different animal completely. However, slowing down helps some players, hurts others and should not be an option. Pausing the entire tournament though would not have been unreasonable, IMO.