Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 06:20 PM

Default 99 on A high flop -- big pot. Turn question...

Just sat down. No real reads except table seems much looser than the norm. I know the flop call is questionable since there's a good chance somebody will c/r, but...try and disregard that. I really wanna know what people do on this turn when it's checked around to you?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (16.20 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.10 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ???
Old 10-22-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 99 on A high flop -- big pot. Turn question...

UTG betting into you, and you're behind most of BB's 3 betting range even if you somehow have UTG beat. Ditch it on the flop. Sorry for bringing that up.

On the turn it's only gotta work 1 in 11 times, although sometimes you'll be giving up your 5% chance. I really don't know, if I bet I'd hope BB has KQs, or might fold a higher pocket pair, and hope UTG is a doofus.

Edit: After thinking about it I just take the free card since we're not good often enough to protect against giving a free card, I think we gain more by taking a free card. Also one of the only hands I think you're ahead of against the BB, KQs, is usually going to ditch it on the flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:59 PM

The flop call isn't that out of the question, because as long as SB and BB just call you are almost getting immediate odds for your set. I would probably still fold because there aren't many hands that are 3 betting you preflop that don't have you beat here. Not only that, but the SB or BB might check raise which would commit you for another bet. On the turn I would just check and fold to a river bet. I think that despite the fact that he checked, UTG has ome kind of a weak ace, and if you bet the turn I believe you are getting called down by a better hand. Betting here and taking a free showdown wouldn't be a bad line if you think some of these players are able to lay down a better hand than you have.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:02 PM

I think i played the flop really badly. I should fold/raise here folding a lot more than raising. I want to know what people do on the turn tho.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:39 PM

hmm... preflop i think i would limp along a lot. when i limped i would raise the flop bet almost 100% of the time to see what develops.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 PM

bump...
Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm... preflop i think i would limp along a lot. when i limped i would raise the flop bet almost 100% of the time to see what develops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I don't understand this, but I don't like this reasoning at all. This is a good hand to raise pre-flop. After that, I don't see why you would raise the flop 100% of the time (or almost) to just see what develops. Raise if it's +EV, not just to raise.