Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 03:33 PM

Default a strong raise against a strong hand

I would like to bring up a certain type of hand that I always have alot of trouble with.I'm at a .50-$1.00 table with no read on villian. I'm in early position with $140 villian is at button with $155.I have a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]and k [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],preflop, and raise to $4. Late position and button call.The flop is a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],and 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Feeling pretty good about this flop I bet $13, late position goes out and villian calls.Pot is now about $41. Turn card is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Now with a great board I lead out and bet $25 ,but much to my surprise button calls and goes all in. So now I have to put in $98 to see the river. My thought process is this: I know i have a great hand and a great board, but I have been showing strength by betting aggrssively on every street. Why would he suddenly re-raise me all in ? The board shown no flush or straight possibilities, so either he has the dreaded set, a hand similiar to mine or it is a bluff. My instincts tell me to fold, that he must have a set, but my head tells me to call. That i may have him beat now,and if not I can still catch a card that would give me the nuts.What is the proper move here, I run into this situation more times then I would like.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: a strong raise against a strong hand

If he has a set, there is no card you can catch that would give you the nuts.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 PM

an ace would give me the nuts
Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 PM

Fold.
Keep the pot smaller next time you're flat called with TPTK on a bone dry board.

EDIT: Forget it, I just read your reply. Deal out some hands to yourself with a deck of cards and practice recognizing the best hand possible on the flop, turn, and river.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM

...in fact if he has a set, you're done. he probably slow played his nines on the flop but it could be a random bluff but there is really nothing on the board that he can represent with a bluff.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM

sorry possible nuts.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM

are you serious? Are you really that bad. If he has a set, an ace hitting gives you three aces and your opponent a full house....you still lose. You are almost certainly behind here to ace rag that made two pair and you are drawing at 3 King outs. You are crushed here I think most of the time, barring spectacular reads on the villain putting him squarely on maniac that would pull this move with just a baby ace.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:54 PM

unarmed-why would you suggest to keep the pot smaller? Onahand like this isn't the goal to value bet, thus getting money into the pot?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:00 PM

by definition 'nuts' is the best possible hand that exists, there is no possible about it.

If an Ace hits on the river, the nuts (considering you have one ace) is aces full of nines. You should practice these concepts before worrying about finer points.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unarmed-why would you suggest to keep the pot smaller? Onahand like this isn't the goal to value bet, thus getting money into the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think you were called with on the flop? If its a hand you beat, what sort of bet size do you want to use to maximize your take on this hand? If its a hand that has you smashed, what sort of bet do you want to make to minimize your loss?