Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Got Out-played...help

For my 2 cents it appears that a common thread in your posts, is that often you have a good hand, start off by betting a reasonable amount;but when someone sticks with you,you lose your aggression ;putting him on a big hand that he probalby doesn't have. You then make a mini-bet or check, giving him the opening to bully you out, or at the least make you make a tough decision, that you wouldn't have to make if you were more aggressive throughout the hand
Old 03-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Why does the 8 scare you? Maybe if it was the 8s I could see slowing down. If you felt you were ahead on the flop you are certainly still ahead and should continue betting. The only logical hand villian could have containing an 8 would be 88, and people won't usually try to push you out with that. JMO
Old 03-02-2005, 07:32 PM

I play on a site where it is fishy as hell. Anyway, all of you are absolutely correct. I do tend to trail off on the turn and river. I have to stop that. I am making money but damn, I would have been up $100 last night instead of about $40 if I would have called that river.

Checking the turn was OK as long as I check raised him. If he didn't have an 8, he would have probably backed down. I don't find players like him too often and I think it would very worthwhile to seek out these players and label them in the notes so I know what players are likely to make moves on me.

Thanks guys. I had a big stack of $80 so I was up $30 and this is when I get a little scared and start playing scared. I think it might benefit me to leave the game and come back since I often get scared when I get a big stack because I have more to lose . Opinions ? I appreciate all the help, BTW. I feel so much more confident with a $50 buy-in than a $100 stack on a $50 buy-in.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 PM

Are you sure he bluffed? I always lie when someone asks me what I had.

Maybe he had 44.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys. I had a big stack of $80 so I was up $30 and this is when I get a little scared and start playing scared. I think it might benefit me to leave the game and come back since I often get scared when I get a big stack because I have more to lose . Opinions ? I appreciate all the help, BTW. I feel so much more confident with a $50 buy-in than a $100 stack on a $50 buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would be limiting the amount of money you can make if you were to leave and come back, you always want to have enough to cover all bets just in case you catch a monster. Also an astute opponent would notice someone doing this, I make notes on that player to the effect that he doesn't like playing big pots. Personally I enjoy having a large stack, it is much easier to push people around. JMO
Old 03-03-2005, 12:42 AM

If you care about being up and losing your money, you are probably either underbankrolled or just need more deep stack experience.

At least you are making constructive poker posts now, that's a start.