Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Why does this happen in online poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I'll let other posters handle the "Is online poker rigged," but I'd just like the point out the following hand which happened in my home game.

4 players saw the flop with 44, 77, 99, and TT. The flop was 4 7 9.

The turn was a T.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that happened in a live game that I was playing, someone would be answering some serious questions.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:46 AM

I feel your pain. The other day my trip 9's got beat by trip Aces, the other player in the hand caught trip 4's. This has never happened to me at a b&m before. I am not drawing any conclusions, however it is indeed weird.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:52 AM

i'm not going to even attempt to do the math here since i would definately screw it up.
but i do think the math here is flawed.

in a 3-handed game, the odds of all 3 players geting dealt a pocket-pair at the same time would have to be slightly smaller then the odds of one specific player getting dealt pocket-pair 3x in a row (which indeed would be 16x16x16).

again, i might be way off here.
and it probably doesn't affect the end result by a huge amount.

also, i think the odds for the 3 pocket-pair to flop a set might be a bit higher.
for one of the players to hit the set is 9-to-1.....but the 2nd player is NOT getting a new 3-card flop, so he essentially only gets 2 cards to hit the set.

this is a big 'i dont really know what the hell i'm talking about here' so someone please help me out.

for example, if one player gets a pocket-pair, are the odds still 16-to-1 for someone else to get one (because now we're down to 50 remaining cards)??
Old 04-25-2004, 12:58 AM

i might as well join in. it seems like everyone has one of these stories, which further proves the point that if you play enough you will encounter something like this.

bellagio 15-30 game, capped at 5-bets preflop, 3 way action. i wasn't in the hand but the guy on my left was, a guy from canada i had been talking to for the past few hours or so. i knew him to be a solid player, so i knew he held AA when i saw 5 bets going in preflop. anyways...

flop AQ6, capped. me and the guy on my right were talking about the hand while in progress, and we put one of the guys at the other end of the table on QQ, and who knows what the other guy was in on, he was a maniac.

anyways the turn was a blank, consider it an offsuit 2, and the betting was capped again. me and the guy to my right start commenting again, "man, he is drawing to 1 out! i wonder if he knows..." and then bam!

river Q! the guy with AA knows it, and i feel his pain. the worst part was the 3rd guy in the hand (not the guy with AA or QQ) kept pumping it on the river, so it got capped again.

my canadian buddy shows his AA, other guy shows his QQ for quads, and the 3rd guy had flopped a set with 66.

[censored] happens baby!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in a 3-handed game, the odds of all 3 players geting dealt a pocket-pair at the same time would have to be slightly smaller then the odds of one specific player

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not know whether it was only three handed before the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
also, i think the odds for the 3 pocket-pair to flop a set might be a bit higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit?? Your theory does not even count the odds of 3 people being dealt pocket pairs all in the same hand. However the odds of getting three of a kind are 46-1 not 9-1 this also does not include that they completed it by hitting a 2 outer by holding the pair in their hand.

I would say the odds of this event happening are Approx one in 97336 hands. (46x46x46) or 46 cubed.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:10 AM

Let us assume for a moment that your math is correct. At Party Poker if 10,000 people are playing and 60 hands per hour are being dealt someone would see this 16 times a day. Suppose only 50% of the hands see flops then it would still be seen every three hours. Too bad it just happened to be you. Not quite so remarkable now is it?

Jimbo

Old 04-25-2004, 01:42 AM

Let's assume the numbers are way off! 4000/1 of 3 folks getting a PP? that is just silly. but anyways, it's pretty clear after reading the details of this radical hand that them sons abitches are out to get you!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm playing a game at party poker. I get dealt 44 and two others get 22, and JJ. The JJ limps so we all see the flop.

The flop comes out 4, 2, J giving all of us a set. The set of 2's bets out, the J's raises all in and I call. The JJ actually gets 4 of a kind of the river and takes the huge pot. I type: "That hand just seems impossible." Afterwards, I did some odds calculating. At a 10 handed table, the odds for 3 people to get dealt a pocket pair on the same hand is 1229 to 1. The odds of 3 people improving a pocket pair to a set on the flop of the same hand is 729 to 1. So, the odds of both of these things happening on the same hand is approx. 894,941 to 1. It just doesn't seem likely that even through a lifetime a playing poker, you would ever see this, but even if it happened once, I would be ok...everything happens at one time or another. It's just that these really improbably hands happen all the time it seems.

The guy who had the jacks said that earlier the same day, he was playing in a tournament in which him and another guy both got pocket kings and they were playing against a guy who had pocket Aces on the first hand. All 3 went all in....and the pocket K's with no K's left in the deck, outdrew the pockets A's and chopped the pot with a straight.

I've noticed that these just totally unlikely don't seem to happen nearly as much at other poker sites I've been to or in real life games, so is it something with party poker or is it just some coincidence? What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ive played over 500K hands online, and I've never seen it happen...

So chill.....
Old 04-25-2004, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that these just totally unlikely don't seem to happen nearly as much at other poker sites I've been to or in real life games, so is it something with party poker or is it just some coincidence? What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all online poker is rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]
r u serious?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:34 AM

go back and re-read please.

also....does somebody speak gabbyyyyy-ese. i can't figure out what on earth she's trying to say.

does anyone know where that 46-to-1 comes from??