call 5 71.43%
fold 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Poll: Affiliates are scum bags

[ QUOTE ]
Right on Whale!

[/ QUOTE ]

dude you have a thread on this forum right now asking for a pimp...whats up with that? at least im choosing a side.

btw im not an affiliate nor do i get my rake back at this time but i dont have anything against it as long as they dont spam.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:32 PM

If you ever went through a really (really) long dry spell at poker, and still had affiliate payments come in, you might feel differently.

If you haven't, I hope you don't, but it isn't fun. The market for poker is far from saturated...there is a whole new level to reach, and a whole new generation of quality software and honest sites to support.

The affiliate programs help keep innovation in poker, and help keep one site from completely taking over a monopoly. Word of mouth advertising is stronger than the shotgun approach, and if you think successful affiliates just put up a website and quit, guess what! It isn't that way.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:36 PM

The problem is not with the Affilates but with Party.When I have to pay extra rake to pay off the affiletes when I joined directly(No affilate 25% Takeout).This tends too make me tell PartyPoker.com@ too take a red hot poker and stick it up their behinds. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2004, 06:40 PM

I thought I explained in a previous post . If you dont like that one .You are sure to dislike my next post.

Enjoy
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2004, 06:44 PM

What if you go thru a long dry spell and know your donations are being leeched too scum like you?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 PM

If affiliates did not exist, Party would have no additional incentive to lower their rake or increase promotions. They give the amount of money back to their software/players that will result in the most profit, no more, no less.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:51 PM

If you ever went through a really (really) long dry spell at poker, and still had affiliate payments come in, you might feel differently.

If poker can't support you, and you try to kill poker, why the hell would you feel entitled to live off someone else's poker?

The affiliate programs help keep innovation in poker, and help keep one site from completely taking over a monopoly

The second biggest site prefers to give back the money to the players and not the affiliates, I'd say it works pretty well.

and if you think successful affiliates just put up a website and quit, guess what! It isn't that way

Many also spam forums, tell lies (In this one-off instance Im actually referring to those sites that say party has great support) and generally foul things up for the rest of us.

Remember it isn't 20% of the profit you are taking, it is 20% of the actual income, there is a big difference.

There is no doubt that Party's affiliate program is why they have to have the highest rake of the major sites.

Me, I still don't get rake back and proud of it.

If someone made an interesting website, that was informative and worth visiting, guess what, they'd do okay without cheating.

Lori
Old 02-19-2004, 06:52 PM

Default question for True CEO

He may not see this and may not be inclined to answer, but I was wondering what percent of people that make real money accounts on True came in through an affiliate link?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:58 PM

I've been through hell in many ways. And I don't feel any different.

Could you please specify as to how the affiliate programs "help keep innovation in poker"?

Could you please tell me what is wrong with normal advertising?

You are probably right about word-of-mouth "advertising," but I HATE when that is being paid for. You should know when someone is being paid for saying something.

And I don't believe that affiliates stop trying to get more players, I just think that it is WRONG that they get indefinite, unlimited pay for players that they already HAVE gotten into a cardroom.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:59 PM

cant decide how to vote...

paying an affiliate a % of a players rake must of been intended to lead to what we now have - ie affiliates making arrangements with some players to give some of that rake back - it would be nieve to think that this marketing plan evolved without this thought in mind

from the sites point of view i suppose its a bit like a cheap propping program - good players are of-course good for the site - bums on seats is the bottom line and you guys probably all have sore bums by now

my experience with affiliates has been disastrous - maybe i have been unlucky - i cant help but be dissapointed to discover people who prey on my trust - not surprised

my strident view is that if the issue was discussed openly and affiliates easy to know and identify in places like these boards it is much less likely i would of had a bad experience

i heard about a psych investigation recently about honesty - a test was run where a wallet was left on a park bench with money in it in a busy city park - it was found and returned to the owner virtually everytime - a similar test was run where a customer at an ATM machine inadvertently left some money protruding from the machine - again virtually every time the next customer chased the person who had left the money in the machine to return it - another test was run where a wallet containing money was left in a public toilet - it was almost never returned

this portrays a cynical view of human nature which i dont wish to share - i do however think this forum should get out of the toilet

stripsqueez - chickenhawk