Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: I put myself in a difficult situation

Saving myself money would be nice! :-)

I think your guideline is correct most of the time but I would like to add some hands like AQ/AJ and maybe even AT/KQ/KJ since he may very well put me on a steal attempt.

And a PP lower than TT is also possible, trying to push me off a scary board.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 AM

I can't think of many people who reraise AJ, AT, KQ, KJ or 99-66 OOP...I understand that he's LAG, but like I said, unless he shows me otherwise that he can reraise preflop with those hands, I won't put him on those hands. Doing so is just giving you an excuse to call in situations you possibly shouldn't.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:13 AM

I see people reraising a "blind stealer" from the BB with weak hands a lot, even worse hands than the ones mentioned. But as you said, maybe I would need some proof that he's capable of this kind of move.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Results

My entire time bank almost expired before I made the call. I was very, very close to folding several times since I couldn't really se enough hands that I was ahead of. Somehow I changed my mind, thinking he was on AQ/KQ or trying to buy the pot from me.

He showed A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for nothing more than an A high!

I'm absolutely not saying the call is the proper play in the long run. That's what I wanted to discuss in this thread.

This time, it was correct, and it sure felt good! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 AM

ajs - said if you're willing to fold on a broadway flop you're on your way to being a good player. I think this is especially true.

although there is a chance villain may be drawing here you don't have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] re-draw to save you if he wasn't.

i'd expect to see him with any 2-pair or already made straight. the turn is a define fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Results

Against a LAG I would re-raise pre-flop. You are likely to get the action from him that you want.

A lot of people complain about suck outs, but this hand is a prime example of how to minimize the impact. A LAG could have a lot of hands here, including many that you are currently beating. However, a LAG is unlikely to have no piece of this flop. Even if you are winning on the flop, there are a lot of cards that can turn your hand into garbage by the river. My hand would probably head to the muck on the flop.

If you believe that your hand is likely to be good for a showdown, then I don't mind the way you played it. You want to keep your positional advantage for as long as possible. A flop re-raise is going to end the betting on the flop. Your opponent will either fold or go all in. I would want the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in my hand to put my money in on the flop though.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ajs - said if you're willing to fold on a broadway flop you're on your way to being a good player. I think this is especially true

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a major difference between my hand and the hand ajs commented was that in that hand there were three players in the hand, and one player still to act after Hero. That makes it a much easier fold in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM

Ok, first of all, I noticed you keep saying "he might think im on a steal" to try and justify a call. At NL50 its pretty pointless in my opinion to steal the blinds, especially with no limpers in the pot ahead of you.

RERAISE PREFLOP. Youve got a dream situation with AA. Youve got an aggressive player reraising behind you when you have the #1 hand in hold em.
As played, this is a clear fold. I'd fold to the 10 bet on the flop. But if i did stick around i'd defanitly fold the turn. I dont know what more you want him to do to let you know you dont have the best hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM

I hear you. Still I can't agree with you to the full extent. It's obvious he put me on a steal, why on earth would he otherwise reraise with A6o OOP? So I can't be all wrong with the justification of my call.

Reraise preflop. Yes, probably.

Clear fold. No. I definitely see a case for folding but I also see other options.