Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Semi-bluff question

This is sort of a follow up from my last post.

I ONLY CR and grossly overbet the pot (generally allin) on the flop when I am on a draw. Should I push sometimes when I have a monster too? This is 200NL full ring if you don't know.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Semi-bluff question

BUMP, I can rephrase it? Does anyone here push a 5x potsized bet into a pot on the flop ever when they have a monster? Is it better EV then normal betting ever?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 AM

This depends on how often you play with the same people. If there is little-no chance that they will catch on in the short period that you play with them, then no, no problem at all. A check-raise all-in looks damn scary, and there is hardly any way to defend against it unless you are SURE that it is a semi-bluff. That said, as soon as you play with them enough so that they know it is a semi-bluff, the play loses all value.

In the long run, you will need to mix in some monsters with that.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:26 AM

In general, every betting pattern that you use should have various hands that you use it with. If theres only one hand (or style of hand, like draw/set/overpair/etc.) that you make a particular bet with, then eventually you'll be throwing your money away to anyone who pays attention.

In this particular example, CR-pushing monsters can be a good play against 2 kinds of opponents.
- Solid players who will read you for a draw and call (of course, they need a good hand themselves)
- Ridiculously bad fish who will call with anything

Otherwise, against most of your opponents (who arent particularly thoughtful, but can lay down hands if they face more pressure than they want to deal with) you'll get more value out of them with other lines like bet-3bet flop, or bet-call flop, checkraise turn.

You might also try a smaller checkraise with your draws. Perhaps up to 1.5 or 2x the pot. It'll still be big enough to chase off weak hands, but also may be even more intimidating of a bet (because it isn't suspiciously large)