Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 09:31 PM

Default was i insane for calling with A-high?

villian was rather aggressive and made big bets, whether he had a hand or not. but his bet on the end just didn't make any sense. if he had a flush draw he'd probably bet on the flop. did that 8 on the turn really help him? did he call with a 7 preflop? perhaps i could be criticized for not making a continuation bet on the flop, as it's unlikely the flop helped anyone. is open-raising with A9o in a 6max game too loose?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($31.05)
SB ($73)
BB ($9.75)
UTG ($29.50)
Hero ($48.65)
CO ($26.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($3.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($3.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3.5</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $3.50.

River: ($10.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $30.25
Old 06-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: was i insane for calling with A-high?

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. Why couldn't he call preflop with a 7 or 8? This is party NL$25 6max afterall. And is he always betting the flop if he's on a flush draw?

I gather you took down the pot since you're posting this hand, but I don't think you should be making these calls without a more spesific read. He could even be bluffing and still beat you (low PP/stronger ace).

You can't always continuation bet though, when you're aggressive enough to raise A9 preflop (which is fine in my book). So checking the flop is ok, especially on a ragged flop, since they most probably put you on AK (they always put you on AK [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 06-12-2005, 10:49 PM

I think this is terrible. If you're going to raise A9o UTG or anywhere for that matter - make it at least $1.5, and then be scared every time you make hand other than 99x. I do not advocate raising A9 anywhere.

But if you're going to do it, you mine as well bet the flop to see where you are - if you can take it down right there - then good deal. If you get called - it's time to check/fold.

If you won here - you got really lucky. You're not going to win here often enough to justify calling off more than half a buy in.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 PM

Preflop, I really don't like the raise with A/9 os, in middle position, butI think that is the least questionable of the plays here. On the flop, the small blind has checked to you, and preflop the button just limped in, so I don't think he's that strong. I really like a continuation bet here, representing either a pocket pair, or AK, AQ, all of which may very well be good. Of course if SB checkraises you, you can get away from it. There are certainly times when it is not appropriate to continuation bet, but I think this is one where it is worth it. On the turn, what are you calling with? Maybe you've got the best hand, but if so, then why call? raise to test. More likely you don't have the best hand, and just calling a pot sized bet is really weak here. There are any number of hands Button may have that beat you, including a stronger ace. And I think the call on the River is really bad. Considering that you posted this hand, I'm guessing you won, but I rally don't think you win this hand anywhere near 1 time in 3, which is what the pot is laying you with his pot sized bet. Even if he had only been betting a diamond draw, that draw just came through, he could also be playing a 5/6 (made the draw on the turn, and bet it), and that draw came through too. He could easily have a weak pocket pair that he didn't feel comfortable betting ont he flop. Sure, every once in a while I guess he'll be on a stone cold bluff, which I'm guessing you caught him on here (limping in with something like two cards over 10, or suited connectors that missed on the button, or even worse), but like I said, the amount of times you catch him on a stone cold bluff here are not worth your pot odds for that river call. He's going to have you beat more than 2 times in 3, far more.