Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Introduction and a few questions

Hi, My name is Michael, but Everyone calls me Melch. I have posted a few times, but never gave a semi formal introduction. I am a physics major at Louisiana Tech and I will graduate in November. I'll be moving out to San Diego hopefully soon due to a few job prospects out there. I am also a debater.

Anyways I have a few questions. I figured this is the best place to post them.

I seem to excell at 6 player games, where I don't do as well in 10 player games. The limits I am playing at are .50/1. Does anyone know what could be hurting me in the 10 handed games?

I am looking to eventually build up my bank roll to get into higher limit games. I currently have 300, which from the posts I have read is good for the limit I am at. Would at the end of the week or month cashing out half my winnings and leaving the other half be good for this, or should I adjust this. (My poker earnings don't pay my bills or rent, It mainly feeds my DVD habit).

To test the NL waters, should I move down stakes slightly or is it ok to stay where I am at. Where I play (UB), it seems that the .50/1 tables are easier than the .25/.50 tables.

Oh and this question is very off topic. I drive a 2000 Bonneville, When I move to San Diego, what if any modifications do I need to make in order for it to pass the environmental regulations you have out there?

Thanks,
Melch
Old 10-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Introduction and a few questions

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to excell at 6 player games, where I don't do as well in 10 player games. The limits I am playing at are .50/1. Does anyone know what could be hurting me in the 10 handed games?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably playing too many hands. Do you play the same hands (pre-flop) in the 6-max games as in the full games? If not, what are the differences?
Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 PM

Perhaps you are playing hands that are decent at a short-handed table, but would be "marginal" at a full table.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:38 PM

Hey Melch,

Fellow Tech grad here. Moats ROCKS!!!

As for building a bankroll, the only way to do it in my opinion is to not take out any money (at all) until you reach a level you want to get to.

For me, I started out with a goal of reaching $2,000 (from $20) and playing at the $3/6 level. I reached the $2,000 mark after several months, but I kept building until I got up to $8,000. Then I finally made a big cashout and kept $2,000 on site to continue playing with, and cash out $1,000-$2,000 each month. If I had cashed out winnings along the way, I would still be stuck at .5/1 and never moved up like I did. So I say keep it in your bankroll. The sooner you get to bigger stakes, the sooner you'll be making "real" money.

Later.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 PM

Hi Melch.

Welcome.

You need to punch a big hole in that exhaust before you get there to camoflaugue your arrival.