Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Sometimes I push too hard

Villian is 17/8/2.3 over 200 hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($98.75)
SB ($81.20)
BB :#A500AF(Villian)/ ($108.95)
UTG ($77.30)
Hero ($63.30)
MP1 ($111.10)
MP2 ($206.85)
MP3 ($19.05)
CO ($98.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $3, UTG folds.

Flop: ($11) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $45</font>, Villian folds.

Final Pot: $76

I re-raise here because

a) Villian seems tight, so i figure he's got a good ace to be check raising me.

b) Coordinated board scares me a bit

I guess another option would be to call Villian's raise and then push turn with my remaining $50, but if a club or picture card pops up...i'm not happy.

thoughts?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Sometimes I push too hard

The villian seems tight to you... so you fear him check/raising you on the flop with either a gutshot straight draw or a flush draw? Or if he has a strong ace, what are you really afraid of, you have him smoked. You're reasoning for betting here does not go with your read on him at all.

If you're gonna re-re-raise here on the flop, push! Making it $45 when you have $60 left is silly.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:21 PM

If this coordinated board makes you antsy, then go ahead and pot the flop or even slightly overbet, this villain is tight and most likely has a good holding, I put him on a FD, maybe a raggedy two pair. The only thing that leads you here is pocket aces, but you can't lay this down in fear of that with this type of action. Call this bet to get some value out of later streets, taking it down now is all well and good, but in the long haul you give away money.

Cambraceres

Just reread post, call with intentions of pushing any non ace/non spade turn.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The villian seems tight to you... so you fear him check/raising you on the flop with either a gutshot straight draw or a flush draw? Or if he has a strong ace, what are you really afraid of, you have him smoked. You're reasoning for betting here does not go with your read on him at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I make absolutley no sense. Given the raise he's probably more scared of the straight/flush draws than I am.

I think part of my problem is I overplay strong hands on the flop to avoid having to make difficult decisions on the turn/river. This is undoubtedly costing me money.