Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Some preflop calling decisions

Hello,

what are the pot odds needed to call a preflop raise from late position in a 5/10 game in this situations:

a) having small suited connectors (67s)
b) having small pair
c) having AXs

I usually call if my pot odds are about 5:1. What do you think?

Thank you, Simon.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Some preflop calling decisions

I really don't like Axs in raised pots. I want to see a cheap flop with it, and when it's raised, there's more of a chance your A is dominated.

With pairs and suited connectors, it depends a lot on game conditions as well as pot odds. If UTG raises and gets 2-3 coldcallers I'll call with any pp or >76s, unless the raiser is super tight and only raises with big pairs, or if there's LAGs in the blinds who will 3bet with any playable hand. OTOH, if there's been one or no coldcallers before me, but the blinds are very loose-passive, then I'll call with those hands because I can expect the blinds to call behind me.

I'm more likely to play pairs in aggressive games, since you can get away from them easily if you don't flop a set, and you can win a big pot if you do hit a set. With the suited connectors I'd prefer a more passive table. You want to get cheap or free turn and river cards if you flop a draw.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:26 PM

This all depends on situational stuff like how the table is playing and who raised and who called and what your table image is and fun stuff like that
Old 08-21-2005, 09:56 PM

Depends on who's raising, how many are in, and who's left to act.

Generally speaking, I'll play all three of those types hands if the pot's unraised and there's at least 2 callers in front of me. I don't coldcall with Axs or 76s type hands, regardless of the playing proclivities of the table. Just too expensive to see a flop that probably won't hit me hard enough to keep going.

Low PP, I'll usually coldcall if I'm sure there will be at least 4 other players on the flop and I'm reasonably sure it won't be 3-bet behind me. As Ron said, it's a very easy decision on the flop to continue...either you hit the set or you don't. You don't find yourself in these situations where you keep investing in a (good) draw that just doesn't hit, or flop 2 pair that someone else already has beat or draws out on you...that's more likely to happen even if the flop hits you fairly well with a 76s type hand.