Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 04:37 AM

Default Theory of Poker necessary

Hey all, I've read and reread HEPFAP and SSH many times, as well as a few other less helpful books, and I've played quite a bit of poker. I'm just wondering if buying Theory of Poker will really be that helpful to me, or if all that I need to know from it is already contained in HEPFAP and SHH and I'll just be wasting my time. I feel that I have a firm grasp on concepts such as implied and pot odds, free card, the semibluff, etc etc. Is it worth buying ToP, or do I have all the tools I need already?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Theory of Poker necessary

That depends, do you want to be a winning poker player?

Scott

PS Hold'em Poker is also a must read IMO.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:35 PM

If you are so good that you dont learn anything from Theory of Poker then you are also so rich that asking us if its worth the money would be a silly question.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:38 PM

Buy it, read it, then read it again. TOP is IMO, the best cover to cover poker book ever published.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:46 PM

while i agree with all of the other posters here that top is the best book written on poker, i don't believe that they adequately answered your question. hepfap touches upon many of the subjects that are in top, however, top goes into much greater detail in such subjects as heads up play on the end, semi bluffs and most importantly, game theory which is a tactic necessary to beat opponents who are better than you. furthermore, top lays down the fundamentals for all forms of poker, hepfap (and what i've read of ssh) applies several of the concepts in top to the game of holdem specifically. if you are an avid player (which i assume you are from your posting here) top is required read and reread material
Old 11-26-2004, 09:15 PM

Alright, thanks for the advice. I was very much intending on getting the book regardless, just because of how well it's been reviewed. The only thing was, I wanted to know if it would really improve my game dramatically enough to buy it as the next book I purchase and read it asap. From your posts I think I will [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:52 PM

Regardless of the limits you play, you will certainly make up the cost of TOP by winning pots with what you learn from the book