Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Best place to advertise poker sites?

I need some help guys. I'm totally lost on this subject so any imput/discussion on this would be very helpful.

I'm looking for places to advertise my affiliate deal. By that i mean it's just an advertisement for empire poker with my referral/bonus code [not going to be included in this post, so i don't get accused of spam] included on the advertisement.

The obvious thing to do really is just copy where ever party/empire are advertising since they actually have a market team working out were is best to advertise but that's just not pratical for an affiliate, mine is going to have to start lower and build up.

My thoughts so far are:

Advertising on 2+2 and other well known strategy for empire/party would be pointless, while these sites are all pulling in new players who are just learning the game the majority of people here will already have accounts at one of these.

Other sites, such as sites on the top of search engines, pretty much all of these sites were built by affiliates who use them solely to put banners on. No dice.

Bars, clubs. Illegal in the UK. Everyone i contacted said it was illegal to advertising gambling anywhere alcohol is being served.

University. This seems like a very good plan. Most will turn into long term players i.e. paying more rake. Even most don't have surplus income most do have a spare $50 to take a shot.

Horse racing events. For ~$1600/year you can have a a A5 advertisement in the horse racing program in every event (20) which is read by 300/meeting, mostly straight to the races though. Sounds good?

So how's my line of thought on this? Any other ideas? Any give any website/info on how best to go about this? Experiences? Any help is great.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Best place to advertise poker sites?

Do you have a website? I would think that would be the place to start.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a website? I would think that would be the place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spoken to a few people with their own websites which are mildly popular. They all said the money they make from sign ups through their site is tiny compared to offering rake back on here.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:26 AM

Why would your competition want to provide you with free advice that would cost them business? Just keep thinking and you shall find your answer.

cubs

PS... i will offer some advice but at a rate of $100 an hr... and i really do have some good ideas
Old 10-11-2004, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I need some help guys. I'm totally lost on this subject so any imput/discussion on this would be very helpful.

I'm looking for places to advertise my affiliate deal. By that i mean it's just an advertisement for empire poker with my referral/bonus code [not going to be included in this post, so i don't get accused of spam] included on the advertisement.

The obvious thing to do really is just copy where ever party/empire are advertising since they actually have a market team working out were is best to advertise but that's just not pratical for an affiliate, mine is going to have to start lower and build up.

My thoughts so far are:

Advertising on 2+2 and other well known strategy for empire/party would be pointless, while these sites are all pulling in new players who are just learning the game the majority of people here will already have accounts at one of these.

Other sites, such as sites on the top of search engines, pretty much all of these sites were built by affiliates who use them solely to put banners on. No dice.

Bars, clubs. Illegal in the UK. Everyone i contacted said it was illegal to advertising gambling anywhere alcohol is being served.

University. This seems like a very good plan. Most will turn into long term players i.e. paying more rake. Even most don't have surplus income most do have a spare $50 to take a shot.

Horse racing events. For ~$1600/year you can have a a A5 advertisement in the horse racing program in every event (20) which is read by 300/meeting, mostly straight to the races though. Sounds good?

So how's my line of thought on this? Any other ideas? Any give any website/info on how best to go about this? Experiences? Any help is great.

[/ QUOTE ]\

jesus, i hope this post is so full of sarcasm it's even too sarcastic for ME. If this is real, I have lost all respect for you.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would your competition want to provide you with free advice that would cost them business? Just keep thinking and you shall find your answer.

cubs

PS... i will offer some advice but at a rate of $100 an hr... and i really do have some good ideas

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not costing them business at all. It's a totally different market. Every affiliate on this site gets all of their business from this site by PMing people, there's about 15 active affiliates who regulary PM anyone who asks and none of these advertise in any other method.

Along the same lines, why oh why would 15/30 players give advice to other 15/30 players.

Lastly, does a person really need to be an affiliate to give advice here? Anyone with ideas, comments, suggestions can.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:59 AM

I think the best way to advertise your poker affiliate business is to try to avoid the terms of service of a popular moderated poker forum by doing things like consistently bringing up the fact that you're an affiliate in threads and then acting outraged when people call you out for spamming.

p.s. wasn't your location "affiliate" the other day? Did you move or something?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:52 AM

Oh man.

1. Most people here know i'm an affiliate anyway.
2. This thread isn't going to make me any money, if anything given i knew i'd get flamed and it would make me look like a new affiliate it's going to cost me potential money.
3. Given all the contribution i've given to this forum over the past year i didn't think asking for help in this area out of line.

Before i posted this we discussed it in the 2+2 chat room, most people were helpful and give insight while no one flamed me asking. I posted it here in the hopes among all the flames someone would be able to give me some insight, i guess that was a silly hope. This thread has been sidetracked and wont get anyway, so it may as well be deleted now before more people get pissed off with this 'spamming'.

Yes, my loc was affiliate and i don't see why that was a problem, it benefits the sign up more than me. Even Mason said advertising affiliate deals in our sigs wasn't a problem and wasn't the reason they were removed.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:06 PM

I myself am trying to get into the affiliate racket too, but I'm going through the web site route (no plugs here either). My site's coded / finished, I'm just waiting on some domain / website issues to be resolved.

I don't really see the point in PM spamming for affiliates unless they're regulars looking to switch sites because they already know who to ask. IMO, there's too much risk involved to players with only a few posts as you don't know who they are, they could just be bonus whoring, or they're not as consistent with their limit / hours as they say they are. Then again I'm new so *shrugs*.

I figure I'd try and advertise through the campus newspaper about the site. I haven't contacted them about advertising info, but I'd imagine it'd be cheaper than the metro paper and possibly more lenient about adveritising online poker. UT Austin has a crapload of students, and a good percentage of them are regular readers of the campus newspaper since it's free and everywhere. Plus the usual reader is my target group anyhow, young college kids watching too much WSOP / WPT.

I'm also interested in how other affiliates are getting the word out, but I suspect this thread won't garner many honest responses.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best way to advertise your poker affiliate business is to try to avoid the terms of service of a popular moderated poker forum by doing things like consistently bringing up the fact that you're an affiliate in threads and then acting outraged when people call you out for spamming.

p.s. wasn't your location "affiliate" the other day? Did you move or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn! He just told you...