Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Has anyone won with Miller Short Stack?

If you are playing against suckers, it works. I wont give a guy with a short stack any action without a hand that is a favorite against his range of hands.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:10 AM

Players with deeper stack skills can still use this system to buy in short, be perceived as a fish, observe other players, and switch gears as they build a stack.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 PM

Ok so is this system the same as was in last months all in? The one where U buy in short and simply push all in with AK, AA, KK, QQ? You play no other hands. It was in the article on Jim Rose he said he made 27 dollars an hour and Chris Ferguson had also done it for over a year and turned a dollar into 20 thousand. I'm quoting this from memory so feelfree to correct.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wont give a guy with a short stack any action without a hand that is a favorite against his range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you fold all hands except AA-QQ (even folding AKs) if a competent short stack is in the pot no matter how many fish are also in the pot???

You can play optimally against the fish, or against the shortstack. But you can't do both at once. For a deep stack at a table with deep stack fish the situation quite often plays out such that you are forced to pay the short stack for the privilege of robbing the fish.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so is this system the same as was in last months all in? The one where U buy in short and simply push all in with AK, AA, KK, QQ? You play no other hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If those are the only hands you play using this system, then no it is not the same as Miller's SS system in GSIH.

It certainly sounds like a similar idea though.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:22 PM

I have done research and it turns out that this strategy needs a fair bit of 'tweaking' to get it to work. It also leaves you hopeless in the blinds.....

Tried it for about 5k hands and lost $140.

Margon
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have done research and it turns out that this strategy needs a fair bit of 'tweaking' to get it to work. It also leaves you hopeless in the blinds.....

Tried it for about 5k hands and lost $140.

Margon

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what research you have done, buy from my experience, in 5k hands, as a winning player you can expect a range of -$156 to $280.39. {insert sample size point here}
Old 12-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Fair enough....

I was a limit player and there the expectation is that a 300BB downswing is about the max that you should ever see (if you are playing winning poker), the $140 downswing is 280BB....

I guess the standard diviation for NL makes the expected downswings larger....

Margon
Old 12-12-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a limit player and there the expectation is that a 300BB downswing is about the max that you should ever see (if you are playing winning poker)

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't. The expectation is that someone who is crushing his game and starts with a 300BB bankroll and never withdraws any money at all only has a ~1% chance of busting out.

You'll see bigger downswings than 300BB every few hundred thousand hands. Don't worry.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the next question would be, what kind of win rate is everyone having?

[/ QUOTE ]

$25NL table.

Hero is on the button with JJ and $5.
Villain (~$20 stack) limps from UTG.
Hero bets $1.50, Villain calls, everyone else folds.
Flop is KKK.
Villain checks, Hero goes all-in, Villain calls...with 92o.

So the answer to your question is, a pretty good win rate. But I can definitely see where the "deep stacks make even more money" people are coming from.