Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

What most people here haven't considered is that you have closer to a HALF a year left. You only need to take 4 more classes related to your major, and 4 mickey mouse classes. Take your demanding classes the first semester, and take the mickey mouses the following semester. Take 4 intro classes - two languages, psychology, and whatever else. Then graduate.

Besides, you'll probably waste all your academic time anyway and just cram during finals. Two weeks a semester of actual work isn't bad.

It doesn't sound like money is an issue, why are you bringing up your $600k goal? BTW, playing 30 hours a week for an entire year is not easy - I would cut some off the top if I were you.

Lastly, in a traditional upbringing where your parents' "goal" is to get you past college, it is a dick move to quit this late in the game. If they say they are okay with it, they're lying to you.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I play 30 hrs/week for 50 weeks a year, I expect to make over $600k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you didn't accidentally add in an additional zero?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Calling BadAdviceGuy...
Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
College is the easiest funnest thing you will do in your life.

Don't cut it short.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2005, 05:59 PM

I am a freshmen at Stern. First of all, get an apartment closer to campus. You obviously have the money. Second, you should seriously consider paying your parents back for all your college expenses if you make 600k a year.
I make a fraction of what you make now and I hope at one point to achieve your figures, but IMHO with one year left i cant imagine not finishing.
Good Luck,
Mike
Old 12-09-2005, 08:44 PM

if you can't schedule your classes consecutively, and you love poker so much, i don't see why you haven't had solid sessions during this downtime. find wireless, or get a national broadband card. that part shouldn't be too complex. then head to class, and on break, play more cards.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a freshmen at Stern. First of all, get an apartment closer to campus. You obviously have the money. Second, you should seriously consider paying your parents back for all your college expenses if you make 600k a year.
I make a fraction of what you make now and I hope at one point to achieve your figures, but IMHO with one year left i cant imagine not finishing.
Good Luck,
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

man, are you going to let a freshman talk all that [censored] to you?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 PM

Those mentioning that it will be weird to go to dinner parties where everyone graduated college except you are way too 1980's East Coast. The world is different now. Nobody worth your time cares about that crap, and if you are happy with yourself, then you won't care about it either.

The reason you should finish up is because it's important to your parents, and they sound like they are great.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:06 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I come from a really conservative traditional family where parents are supposed to support you until you have graduated and have a job. I convinced them to let me pay rent for my apartment. Money-wise, the tuition isn't a big deal for either of us. I think it makes them happy to pay for my college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good clarification. I wish I had this before. I agree with you then. You are not a dick anymore.

Last question still didn't get answered.

Any stats on yearly progress to your guess of 600k/year?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW YOU WERE WRONG. IM AMAZED. DIDNT SEE THAT COMING. GOOD JOB BUDDY. WAY TO PASS JUDGMENTS
Old 12-09-2005, 10:12 PM

Get a life. Can only judge what he lays out there.

Edit: Oh crap, now I'm gonna get yelled at because I'm passing judgement on you when I don't know 100% of your story either.