Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Dear Christians: Your child doesn\'t believe in Jesus. Now what?

[ QUOTE ]
Thats exactly what I heard when he wrote that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Christian parents believe that anything on this Earth is better than hell. I don't think anyone wishes ill on their child. Think about how much it hurts a parent to have to ground a child and keep him from going to an important event. I think that is the message...of course children grow up to become fully independant people...you can't force them to make a choice and there's no point in trying. If I had kids, I would simply teach them what I believe and let them make their own choices...I would not nag them in other words.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your child has free will. The same free will that allows some atheists to come from Christian homes, and Christians to come from atheist homes. If free will exists, then attempts to steer your child into or out of Christianity should be useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet my bottom dollar that you and your wife were "steered" to believe in Christianity. The evidence is overwhelming....most religous people have the religion of their upbringing. Do you really believe people aren't (as a general truth) "steered" in this way??
Old 10-25-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Your child has free will. The same free will that allows some atheists to come from Christian homes, and Christians to come from atheist homes. If free will exists, then attempts to steer your child into or out of Christianity should be useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet my bottom dollar that you and your wife were "steered" to believe in Christianity. The evidence is overwhelming....most religous people have the religion of their upbringing. Do you really believe people aren't (as a general truth) "steered" in this way??

[/ QUOTE ]

Steered yes...forced no. Your parents probably taught you not to steal. As a result, you're probably not a theif but they didn't make that decision for you.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Steered yes...forced no. Your parents probably taught you not to steal. As a result, you're probably not a theif but they didn't make that decision for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said "forced". And you with me agree that steering is a viable option unlike the original poster (as a general statement). I'm an atheist but I live pretty much according to Chritian morals ( I find Islamic morals unacceptable in many respects, in contrast) I'm just amazed that so many who see their particular religion as being the only true one and which happens to be their parent's religion don't see any connection. Give me a child .......!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 PM

I'm thinking exorcism.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Certainly, a young adult should be allowed to accept/decline his parent’s religion. He will at some point anyway. I think the actual answer to your question is more appropriate in the context of what is allowed and what not by the parent in general.

Some parents make it a must to attend family functions. Others (my nephew, who is in high school, for example, refuses to attend most family get-togethers - not unusual, I would guess.) make it optional. The same criteria should be used for Church functions. It depends on how one is raising their children is how I see it. (And I am not suggesting one is better than the other.)

I caught Oprah today (hey, I am secure in myself to be able to say that) and Michael Jordan was on with Charles Barkley. Barkley’s daughter is tall and has athletic abilities; but has no interest in basketball, he mentioned. He accepts it. He doesn’t seem to pleased with it, but what are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said "forced". And you with me agree that steering is a viable option unlike the original poster (as a general statement). I'm an atheist but I live pretty much according to Chritian morals ( I find Islamic morals unacceptable in many respects, in contrast) I'm just amazed that so many who see their particular religion as being the only true one and which happens to be their parent's religion don't see any connection. Give me a child .......!

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly agree with you on both counts regarding the fact that steering is a viable option and that people should not blindly follow their parents without thinking through the issues themselves. Also, I'll have to agree with you about extremist Islam. Unfortunately, we have our own extremists. I think its deplorable when someone bombs an abortion clinic or kills a homosexual in the name of Christ....totally contrary to Christian teachings.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you want your child to believe, but he is a human being and will, ultimately, make up his own mind regardless of what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desperate situation.
solution below:

http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~ade/brain-manual.html
Old 10-25-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you want your child to believe, but he is a human being and will, ultimately, make up his own mind regardless of what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desperate situation.
solution below:

http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~ade/brain-manual.html

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I don't think its good for religious implications but how about poker? When I place my chips to the left "CALL, CALL, CALL" and when I place them to the left "FOLD, FOLD, FOLD"
Old 10-25-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that people pray in order to hope that God puts the child in a situation in which the child can see more clearly. This might be EVEN be a difficult situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Mempho deserves this attack. He did not say that he necessarily wants harm to come to his child, he said he wanted God to influence his decision through whatever means an infinitely wiser-than-us entity can.

I disagree, however, with Mempho's notion that drug addicts don't "choose" to do drugs; they have as much choice as anyone else.