Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Medical EV problem

[ QUOTE ]
If the risk is in this region an amniocentesis is normally performed which will give a near certain diagnosis but carries with it a 1 in 50 chance of causing an abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. The total "complication" rate is about 1 in 50, but the loss of pregnancy rate is more like 1 in 200.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An 'elective' amneocentisis can be rejected by either parent in the US. However, most applications of these tests are not elective, but rather forced by a doctor to either protect the life of the baby or the mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this apply to the diagnosis of Downs Syndrome? I think the usual clinical argument is that the childs or parents life would not be worth living. I know a few people with Down's syndrome who rather enjoy their lives, and would resent being terminated to 'protect' their own or their parents quality of life.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An 'elective' amneocentisis can be rejected by either parent in the US. However, most applications of these tests are not elective, but rather forced by a doctor to either protect the life of the baby or the mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. You (assuming you are competent) can not be forced to undergo any test for any reason. Any doctor that administers an amnio without consent is committing battery.

EDIT: this is in the US. I don't know about other places.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the BUPA website (BUPA is a big private healthcare provider in the uk)

[/ QUOTE ]

UK healthcare is predominantly undertaken by the National Health service, not by private providers like BUPA.
Companies like Bupa are generally more wary of litigation, and all proceedures are essentially elective, because they provide a secondary alternative to the primary care system for a restricted range of treatments.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From the BUPA website (BUPA is a big private healthcare provider in the uk)

[/ QUOTE ]

UK healthcare is predominantly undertaken by the National Health service, not by private providers like BUPA.
Companies like Bupa are generally more wary of litigation, and all proceedures are essentially elective, because they provide a secondary alternative to the primary care system for a restricted range of treatments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just reference BUPA because it came up on google. I agree in general with your other point that targets distort the way the NHS provides heathcare. However thats a problem with the mechanism of tragets and is nothing to do with an EV calculation based on the values involved.

If your post was criticising targets as a way of providing heathcare, as implemented in the uk, then I would agree with you.

chez