Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Two 2/4 hands where I went a little overaggressive

Hey everyone.

I'm doing a 100bb challenge akin to the thing GoT a while back.

Right now I'm at 2/4. There are two hands here that I have questions regarding. In both scenarios I was new at the table so I did not have much reads. I was barely firing up GT+.

Hand 1:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (15 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets...</font>

Final Pot: 21 BB

How does the flop look? I think a cap would scare off people on the big bet streets but I gotta believe I have to bet this out. Also, who 3bets preflop? Everyone? Might've made a mistake there...

Hand 2:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

It's a limped pot, so I felt a call on the flop was more necessary but by the turn I felt the need to look him up and calldown if he fired back. Wasn't sure if calling the river was spewing.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Two 2/4 hands where I went a little overaggressive

I don't think Hand 1 is that bad the way you played it. I wouldn't be surprised if MP2 had AJ in that spot. I would have just capped the flop and led the turn though.

Hand 2, I think I'm raising or folding this flop. Pot is very small, and I'm not too sure I want to see a T hit the board.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:07 PM

hand 1: on the flop I'd much prefer a CR/CRthree-bet, you need to lead the turn and just call the raise on the river. THere is just so much action that I'm not sure if you are good here enough times to three bet the river

hand 2: fold the flop. if you hit two pair, you then also give a possible straight draw on the board, and you are only getting 5-1 on your call to begin with. THe turn raise blows, just call, and I'd seriously consider folding the river. your extra action has made the pot big, but you were playing with a second best hand the entire time
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 PM

Hand 1 looks good to me. If you ran into a set, thats life.

Hand 2, not so cool. You're not going to fold that many people at 2/4 with a turn raise like that. You'd need a good read that the player is capable of folding there, and you'd need to know that they know you are capable of waiting for the turn to raise a strong hand. Calling the river unimproved is highly suspect too. Whatever he's 3-betting you with should have you trounced. Yeah, occasionally somebody overplays AK like that but without a read, its a fold.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:19 PM

As a few posters have said, hand #2 is a leak, and in my opinion a pretty big one. This is a small pot, you are often behind with few outs, and 3 of your outs set up potential redraws.

The first one I would have three bet preflop, and capped the flop, but your flop and turn line are actually pretty attractive given your preflop play.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The first one I would have three bet preflop, and capped the flop, but your flop and turn line are actually pretty attractive given your preflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOP, you sure about that, cause I don't like doing that OOP
Old 09-15-2005, 11:54 PM

There aren't very many nightmare scenarios in hand 1... it'd be real strange if he didn't three-bet the turn with a set, which leaves KTc as the only reasonable holding that beats you... you're going to see AJ a lot more than anything else.

You were chirping chips in hand 2. The pot was extremely small, and you have no read to make you think that you can make it up somehow.