Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-20-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Question on Notes

I've been trying to work on taking better notes lately. The first thing that I've noticed is that I have no structure for these notes and as a result, I think I'm wasting a lot of time and need to come up with some sort of game plan. For those of you that take a great deal of notes, any type of advice would be helpful. What types of things are you putting in there and do you have any format that you follow?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Question on Notes

as far as stats/players go, use poker tracker with a HUD (like pokerace).

when you take notes you dont really need a structure. you can replay hands and write down tendencies of the player. some of my notes will be as simple as 'calls down and folds the river' and others will include an entire hand.

-ryan
Old 11-20-2005, 12:32 PM

A lot of people are going to tell you come up with your own shorthand so you can quickly write down something like "cr t 76o 983A rb." That may be very good advice if your style is to note those kinds of things.

Personally, I tend to make much more general notes. My notes on players are filled with things like "will semi-bluff-check-raise turn;" "very loose pfrs;" "bets when checked to;" "peels flop w any two hu;" etc.

Basically, I don't like having to look at notes on individual hands and having to re-deduce my reads all over again. I would rather click on a guy and see:

"will semi-bluff-check-raise turn"

than

"cr t 76o 983A rb"

For me personally, the first note saves me a few seconds and some mental energy compared to the second note even though they amount to basically the same thing. If you multitable, that matters.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM

There's a good thread here.

(I am in awe of Nomad's notes.)
Old 11-20-2005, 01:31 PM

let me add this one again

Bison's notes on notes
Old 11-20-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a good thread here.

(I am in awe of Nomad's notes.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to linky that one. Don't be in awe though, if I kept them complete on 2 full ring tables at the same time then you could be in awe.

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: (this would be lag, tag, etc..)
Postflop: (same but how they play post)
HTP: (this stands for "how they play" and is my own assesment of if they are straight forward "ABC", or play only their hand "PTH", or vary their play to who's in the pot "Thinking")
CC: (here I put an x everytime I notice a coldcall, or the hand if they show it down)
BD: (x for every blind defense against a steal, or the hand if it makes SD)
SNG(s): (x for strong donkbets that was actually decent or a slowplay)
SNG(w): (x for weak donkbets, or bluff/garbage stop and go's)
RaiseF(s): (x - when they raise on the flop with an strong hand, I include free card plays, and value bet on draws here too)
RaiseF(w): (x - when they raise on the flop with garbage, bluff, etc...)
RaiseT(s): (same as flop notes for every street)
RaiseT(w):
RaiseR(s):
RaiseR(w):
Showdowns: (hole cards of showdowns)
General Notes: (all the other stuff like "CDW A hgh-3 Flsh", "LRR any pp")

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the gametime windows for PT so I can keep all my notes on it and don't have to worry about importing/exporting notes and they all stay together. Also while I review I will sometimes go back and make notes in there. This helps for future times the same player sits down.
You may ask "is this detail really necessary for .25/.50 or .5/1?" To which I would say no, and there are a lot of common players that I kind of overlook cause their so bad it's irrelevant. You can make money at these levels with ABC poker. I'm just working on this kind of detail so it will be second nature when I move up.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:00 PM

I like your style of notes.
One thing I also find useful is to note when a player makes a normal play..not just the wacky stuff. I want to identify the good players (and the str8forward ones) quickly.
At these limits (1/2, 2/4) I am esp sensitive to slowplays..esp high pairs. I note when they do slowplay..I also note those that actually bet their best hands

Brian