Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

View Poll Results: From which movie is this scene taken ?
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE : Scene deleted by Ed Wood because it was too tacky 9 33.33%
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH : The dinosaurs are in session. (In disguise.) 7 25.93%
THE TERMINATOR : A cyborg nightmare 2 7.41%
WAR OF THE WORLDS : The Martians' Supreme Council 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Default If you were me..............

..........what would you do? I am single. I am a high school teacher. I have the option to take next year off if I so choose, and still come back the following year and have my job. I will make 52K + benefits next year as a teacher. I 4-table 5/10 6max. I play OK/kinda good. I have a nice rakeback deal where I make $0.071/hand. I can get in 300 hands/hour. If I play 35 hours each week for 45 weeks and beat the game at a modest win-rate (0.9bb/100) I'll make 76K total. Tell me what to do.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: If you were me..............

You realize none of us are familiar with the culture of educators. Although you are allowed to take the year off, would there be some detrimental effect on your teaching career? Or is it something that is common? Have you played at least 50 or 100K hands at this level?

You may want to consider waiting until you can beat the 10/20 at 1BB/100. I think it is the + benefits part that makes poker -EV until then.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 AM

So I'm guessing that taking a year off, you lose a pensionable year and delay your rise up the pay scale accordingly.

I'd say if you love poker, have a life outside of the school you teach at, aren't prone to tilting or taking shots, go for it.

BTW, I really like that you used a superconservative winrate.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Do you get most of your summer off? If so, why not just play full-time in the summer?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 AM

You have a fallback position if the poker thing doesn't work out. You don't have a family to support and the associated reasons not to do this.

I'd say, do it. You may not ever be in a better position to do so.

[ QUOTE ]
You realize none of us are familiar with the culture of educators. Although you are allowed to take the year off, would there be some detrimental effect on your teaching career? Or is it something that is common? Have you played at least 50 or 100K hands at this level?

You may want to consider waiting until you can beat the 10/20 at 1BB/100. I think it is the + benefits part that makes poker -EV until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 30K hands at 2/4, 70K at 3/6, and 60K at 5/10 6max. I am over 1bb/100 total.

Health insurance will cost me $400/month, which is a lot but it is the same coverage I would have at school. I am guessing I would be missing out on about 5-7K in retirement benefits. I could survive on 2K/month, and live well on 3K/month.

[ QUOTE ]
..........what would you do? I am single. I am a high school teacher. I have the option to take next year off if I so choose, and still come back the following year and have my job. I will make 52K + benefits next year as a teacher. I 4-table 5/10 6max. I play OK/kinda good. I have a nice rakeback deal where I make $0.071/hand. I can get in 300 hands/hour. If I play 35 hours each week for 45 weeks and beat the game at a modest win-rate (0.9bb/100) I'll make 76K total. Tell me what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your user icon accurate as to how you feel when you get a bad beat? If so, stick to teaching [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 07-19-2005, 10:15 AM

What grade do you teach? You get the summer off correct?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Do you like teaching? Also, if the poker goes well, do you think you would move up and go for year two?

Taking a leave from my job was an easy decision as it is unrewarding and has no benefits (independent contractor). I know a lot of teachers and, depending on the school system, their feelings about their careers range from love to hate.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like teaching? Also, if the poker goes well, do you think you would move up and go for year two?

Taking a leave from my job was an easy decision as it is unrewarding and has no benefits (independent contractor). I know a lot of teachers and, depending on the school system, their feelings about their careers range from love to hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could use the time away.