Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: best films of the year

[ QUOTE ]
I think A League of Ordinary Gentlemen was a better sports documentary than Murderball.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have not seen it. I will have to look for it, thank you.

GoT
Old 12-21-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This year really sucked for movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crash
Cinderella Man
Star Wars
Batman Begins
and I have heard King Kong is awesome

Not to mention less widely released movies such as "Hustle and Flow" and "Last Days"

Not exactly sucky in my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Hustle and Flow was good but nothing amazing. Same for Episode III. Haven't seen Cinderella Man but that got medoicre reviews too. Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

Compared to most years, yes. This was a sucky year for movies. Most years I end up seeing 30-40 movies minimum by the end of the year and have a handful of new favorites. This year, I had a hard time even coming up with movies worth my time.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 AM

I guess:

Harry Potter 4
Madagascar
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

(I'm not saying these are great, just adding a few more I remembered from this year)
Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oldboy was 2003. Is 3-Iron really that good? I should be gettiong it on Thursday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oldboy wasn't released in the USA until 2005. 3-Iron is Kim's best film by a mile. It captures the Buddhism thing he was doing in Spring Summer, but places it in a context where the story is more arresting, as opposed to the preachy (if likable) visuals of Spring...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about movies, what happened to the Red Green avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt like a change of pace. i'm sure it'll return eventually.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:35 AM

Ummm so far, I'd say:

Batman Begins
Crash
Constant Gardener
Serenity

I have yet to see Syriana and King Kong but I'll do so very soon. I'll also rent Cinderella Man although watching a movie at home is not nearly as powerful as watching it at a good theatre.

One movie I didn't like however that has loads of praise is A History of Violence. I don't know why critics loved that movie. You don't really find out the character's motivation and there were just so many scenes that were really slow paced added in for no reason.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:47 AM

A history of violence sucked.

I'd go wtih Cinderella Man and Murderball as my top two.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to chime in about Batman because I'm a huge Batman homer. When I first saw Batman Begins, the whole time I was saying to myself: "WOW!" I actually saw it multiple times and each time, the crowd stood up clapping at the end of the movie. I haven't seen somethign like that in a long time and from the people I talk to at other forums I frequent, they experienced the same thing.

Now to critique the movie from an objective point of view, I'd say the first 2/3 of the movie were flawless especially the first bit. The character development was just really strong as we journey through the agony and pain with Bruce. Bale does a brilliant job at portraying realistic emotions (ie at the court scene when he's about to shoot chill). The early scenes with Batman were stellar as well. The interrogation scene with Flass was brilliantly done.

Now where does this movie start to tank from an objective point of view? Well as soon as the car chase scene happens. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tumbler as it's more realistic than any previous Batmobiles, but from that point on, the movie just follows a Hollywood explosion type movie. The microwave emitter was a plot hole in itself. I mean, things like this are fine if you're looking for a brainless, summer action movie, but the first 2/3 of the movie was so perfect to end like this.

The ending at the end couldn't have been any better though.

But I agree with you. The film wasn't perfect because of the last 1/3 of the film. It's a real shame
Old 12-21-2005, 04:56 AM

Wedding Crashers (Best comedy film BY FAR this year, anyone that said 40 year old virgin and not this is wack)
Crash
Constant Gardner
Saw 2
Hitch was pretty good if you went with a GF

Probably missing 1 or 2 I enjoyed...

I liked batman, but don't think it was 1 of the best. It probably would have been better if I saw it in a theater instead of a [censored] drive-in.

----

I didn't like King Kong that much. The first hour was soley there to try to either kill you or make you barf. The rest was realllllly drawn out.

Star Wars sucked, really long/boring.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 AM

Kong Kong= Rocks!!

Batman= Disappointing.

Crash= Absolute Rubbish.