Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 AM

Default buying my first snowboard

don't let the title fool you. I'm not a beginner. I am very good technique-wise going down the mountain and in the backcountry but I would like to improve in the park. I have always rented up until now because I've always been growing. Now I need to buy.

I have a size 11 or size 12 foot and would like strap in bindings. No clip in [censored]. I want a board suitable for the backcountry as well as the park. I'm willing to spend 600-800 for everything.

Also if you could suggest what I should look for when I go to the shop myself or where I should shop in the bay area (like near San Mateo or Burlingame) that would be sweet too.

thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: buying my first snowboard

Not to hijack, but how similar is snowboarding to skateboarding?

In terms of the skill set required

blake
Old 12-16-2005, 04:47 AM

blake,

I would say snowboarding is easier to pick up if you just want to ride down the mountain. First time I went snowboarding I went for the weekend and by the end I was able to make it down most of the slopes with out wiping out.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:49 AM

snowboarding you are attached to the board, skateboarding you are not.
you do the math
Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 AM

for $800 you can get pretty high-end stuff all around. you're probably looking at $400 for a good board, $200 for good bindings, and $150-$200 for good boots. i also heard a lot of places lowered their prices this year to get more people into it, but i have no idea of the validity of that rumor.

just go to a snowboard shop (don't know what you guys have out there) - they'll be able to help you out; seriously, it's their job. that's what i did when i got my board and i couldn't be happier with it.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:10 AM

I have one of these that I got three years ago and am really happy with (although this is a picture of a 156 and I have 161). Also I'm 6'3 with size 12 feet.

Blurb from transworld:1. Something of mixed origin or composition.
2. A high-powered riding machine that moves with precision and style to dominate both freestyle and freeride territories.

While M3's presence may or may not be felt post-season 2003, the brand's legacy will be known as long as the Hybrid is floating the backcountry kickers and slaying the downtown jib scene. Scoring consistently high in the versatility department, Board Tester Russell Winfield threw it down for us: "This board was a dope all-around ripper." Directional shape and "damp" woodcore provide stabilty, deep radial sidecut allows for ease of turn initiation, and lightweight cap construction keeps things poppin'.

This is the board for the genuine riders of modern snowboarding: Milk the deep stuff in the morning, sesh the pipe in the p.m., and hit a few handrails on the way home. The M3 Hybrid is a machine for the new millenium.

I'm not sure if M3 still makes this model, but in general I've been very happy with the board and would recommend browsing their website.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM

perfect
Old 12-16-2005, 01:32 PM

boots: make damn sure they are comfy and that they KEEP YOUR HEELS DOWN!

bindings: not really all that important, but stiffer is better.

board: i'm a big fan of donek, and prior used to have great deals, but the weakening us dollar might make that not the case anymore. donek's freeride boards are really cheap, and have the same construction as their custom race boards (which are considered some of the best out there). you'll have to order directly from their website, but that really shouldn't be an issue. i havent ordered a board from them in a couple of seasons, but the owner used to answer any questions about the boards by email and was really knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM

JaBlue,

In SF, the following are great shops w/ excellent staff and good prices:

MountainWest Sports (SoMa, Division street)
SFO Snowboard Shop (in the Haight)
Skate & Snowboard shop on Haight (can't remember their name, they are a block or two from GG Park on Haight)
Old 12-16-2005, 09:52 PM

I would suggest the burton Barron, for your foot size, but it looks like its going to be pretty steep at around 500$