Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 05:36 PM

Default So you say you have a Q...

pretty standard loose, passive game... fairly new to the table and don't notice anything too unusual aside from the typical too many hands, too far.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

<font color="blue">I figured it's about time I start raising with 99 so I raise</font>

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

<font color="blue">Well isn't that flop just great! It's checked to me so I do what I usually do when I raise pre-flop and it's checked to me... Bet.</font>

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">So you say you have a Q? Well, then I have a flush and straight draw.</font>

River: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero call.

<font color="blue">BB hesitates... hesitates... and bets. Well you're not so confident anymore, are you?</font>

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: So you say you have a Q...

I'd fold the river.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Well you're not so confident anymore, are you?</font>
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither am I at this point. I don't really want to fold here though. Yes, I do.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neither am I at this point. I don't really want to fold here though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kinda sums up my thoughts...

But the more I get to showdown with any kind of hand (some half decent pair or better) in heads-up situtations... the more I see goofballs bluffing.

This call does seem a bit questionable and a 7bb pot doesn't buy many diamonds or furcoats (or the micro equivalents).

If BB doesn't hesitate, I woulda been more willing to fold...

My feeling is that this situation is close and a fold or call isn't too far wrong... but, if I'm way wrong I'd sure like to know.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:58 PM

I don't know, I don't like trying to rely on timing tells online. I know it often takes me some time to switch back to the right window. I want to see the results. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2004, 11:17 PM

This player bet out without hesitation on the Turn and previously had not shown any signs of inattention or multi-tabling.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:34 PM

"Don't fold for a single bet on the river unless you have overwhelming evidence you are beaten." -Ed Miller

"Play more longshot draws if you are drawings to the nuts or close to it." - Slansky

In short, I think both these guys would have been proud of you.

A check-raise on the turn might have been reasonable. You get more information with a raise than a bet.

-Saint_D
Old 09-26-2004, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty standard loose, passive game... fairly new to the table and don't notice anything too unusual aside from the typical too many hands, too far.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

<font color="blue">I figured it's about time I start raising with 99 so I raise</font>

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

<font color="blue">Well isn't that flop just great! It's checked to me so I do what I usually do when I raise pre-flop and it's checked to me... Bet.</font>

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">So you say you have a Q? Well, then I have a flush and straight draw.</font>

River: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero call.

<font color="blue">BB hesitates... hesitates... and bets. Well you're not so confident anymore, are you?</font>

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your play before the flop, and thats about it. Call me crazy but I would check fold this on the flop and save my money. The only lock would be the jack of hearts, your other big draws could be beaten, and your nines are very likely not good.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:04 PM

I think I would fold the turn. The only card I would be happy to see on the river is the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Even if you make your straight or flush, you can't be confident enough to raise it. The pot is small and he just bet into you on a really scary board. Your outs might not even improve you to a hand that beats his (There is a solid possibility of a full house here). I think staying in is very marginal.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:07 PM

If BB turns a boat, why wouldn't he raise the flop?