Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Two-part Free Card Question

Party Poker Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Reads:

UTG and MP2 are both loose with VPIP's &gt; 30 but relatively passive postflop, 1.1, 1.2

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

1. To freecard or not? I like that a raise here is pretty deceptive if a harmless Q or 7 comes...

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

2. Picked up the fl draw, have lots of outs, however. I'm probably c/r'ed if someone has a T, and possibly drawing very thin. Bet or take the free card?

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

3. Raise/Call?

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB. <font color="orange"> </font>

In retrospect I think I played every street wrong. Is this as ugly as I now think it is?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Two-part Free Card Question

Im not sure I like the call pre-flop, but I like everything else. I think you have some fold equity on the turn, so I think its an easy bet.

And if you dont raise this river, you dont like money.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:15 AM

Preflop: Easy call behind two crappy limpers.

Flop: I like it as you have a good chunk of equity anyway plus all the other benefits of raising, one happening to be the free card.

Turn: You have plenty of equity plus folding equity so I think the turn bet is fine. If you had just the oesd or just the flush draw I'd check though.

River: Good raise, imo. Too many hands you beat that he is betting with.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 AM

flop, good

turn, I'd rely on my reads, specifically the wtsd stat. If they are both abnormally low, I'll try a semi bluff, but they aren't, I'm taking my free card here. You have good equity, but not 33%, so it can't be a value bet unless you think theres a real good chance both villains fold.

river, raise of coarse, that's the easy part [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS also, one other situation i would bet the turn, regardless of reads, is when they both check lightning fast when the second 10 hit. Then I would definately bet.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 AM

I'm raising that flop for value and for a free card if necessary, and I think a continuation bet is required, that gives you a lot more fold equity and you picked up a zillion more outs.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:26 AM

Preflop and flop are good.

Turn and river are interesting. Agg factors of 1.1,1.2 aren't actually that passive for players with VPIPs over 30, so it's possible that there would be a flop bet without a T. In that case, a turn bet would be good for a couple reasons. If you folded any better A-high, K-high, Q-high hands that would be great, and you have an OESD with flush draw so your equity is high. However, they're also not likely to fold if they have a pair and some players won't bet the flop (especially from EP) without top pair or better. If that was the case, I would check the turn.

On the river, I would raise. You're going to get another bet from MP2 but you don't have any idea about UTG. You will definitely get at least 1 more BB if you raise, with the chance to get 4. If you don't raise, the max you can get is 2, but only 1 for sure.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27 AM

Preflop is fine w/ 2 weakies limping in. You have enough equity on the flop to raise. The turn is close, I wouldn't bet it if you didn't the spade draw but under the circumstances I think its fine. No reason not to raise the river once you get there.