Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 12:39 AM

Default 2/4 games with a 10% up to $4 rake (Borgata)...

If you play in these games, even with very loose/passive opponents, can you really expect to make any $. However slight, can you have an overall positive expectation assuming you tip $1 per pot won? You're likely to pay about 4BB's in rake and tip per hour, that seems mighty steep even against weak players.

So is thr game beatable. How about a 3/6 game with the same exact rake and only slightly better opponents?
Old 06-25-2004, 02:33 AM

Default Re: 2/4 games with a 10% up to $4 rake (Borgata)...

I've never played at the Borgata, and I never was able to beat Canterbury's $2/4 HE game. I used to play a fair amount of $2/4 stud at CP which had a 10% rake capped at $4.50 and a $1 jackpot drop. I tipped a dollar, which is a lot to tip in a $2/4 game in my opinion. I beat the game for something like $7/hr because the players were so bad. Given the current climate, if you find the right game, it should be plenty beatable, even with the ridiculous overhead. I wouldn't expect the $3/6 players to be appreciably better than the $2/4 players, so it should be plenty beatable as well.

The primary factor in determining how well you will do in a game is your skill level relative to your opponents'. The rake will cut into your profits significantly, but if you play well and your opponents stink, you should be able to grind out a decent profit, relative to the stakes.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Thanks Andy...n/m

Old 06-25-2004, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play in these games, even with very loose/passive opponents, can you really expect to make any $. However slight, can you have an overall positive expectation assuming you tip $1 per pot won? You're likely to pay about 4BB's in rake and tip per hour, that seems mighty steep even against weak players.

So is thr game beatable. How about a 3/6 game with the same exact rake and only slightly better opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the game is very beatable.

3/6 would be fine, but I doubt you'll be able to find any better players.

I'd recomend playing up to 6-12 if you have the money as that game is soft too.

If in AC a while I think the risk/reward at the 4-8 at the Tropicana may be the best of all those low limit games
Old 06-25-2004, 08:32 AM

4/8 at the Trop huh? Are the players there nearly as bad as at the Borg? Because all the times I've been to the Borgata the players have been fantastically bad. Plus the waitresses are hot and the beer comes in bottles, so it would take a lot to get me to the Trop.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:01 AM

Hey Mike, you can consistently kill the Borgata 2/4 and 3/6. If you've got the roll you should seriously consider 6/12 if you spot a soft game.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:46 AM

Went to the Borgata for the first time about a month ago. Played 3/6 at first, but had some bad luck (KK vs AA twice within 15 hands, flopped nut flush to get sucked out by a full house on the river after capping all streets etc etc) which hurt my roll a bit so I dropped down to 2/4 and won about 20BB in 9 hours. Not great but not terrible either. That includes tips on winning pots and tips to those aforementioned hot waitresses.

Games are very soft, so just play solid poker and you should do fine. Don't do anything fancy as it won't work at these limits....although checkraising does scare alot of the players so you can get yourself a free card if you're on a draw in position.

Just one quick anecdote...5 way pot,raised PF, i'm a bystander on this one, flop comes 996, a bet from UTG, and everyone calls. Turn comes another 9. A bet from UTG, 2 folds, 2 callers. River comes a K. UTG bets, call call. UTG turns over 92o for the quads......uh huh....92o utg in a raised pot. Have fun!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:46 AM

I have played in this type of game for about 70 hours (sample size a bit small I know) at Foxwoods and found it to be beatable at a pretty good clip even with the rake and tips, and I tip $1.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:03 AM

i agree the 4/8 at the trop is prob best bet for risk and reward considerations at that level.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike, you can consistently kill the Borgata 2/4 and 3/6. If you've got the roll you should seriously consider 6/12 if you spot a soft game.

[/ QUOTE ]

More appropriately, you should alert the media if you spot a tough game. It's not the kind of thing you see every day.

scrub