Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: The next M. Night Shamylamylabadoobi movie

Actually, its not a mermaid, but a "water nymph". And Bryce Howard + Paul Giamatti = good.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars Paul Giomatti (sic)

[/ QUOTE ]not sure if you care or not but "sic" is:
"Latin: thus; so (not a mistake and is to be read as it stands)" (acronymfinder.com) it's used if you are quoting a chump that says something wrong or spells something wrong and you want to show that YOU aren't the idiot and recognize that it's an error. I think you meant to say "(sp?)".
Old 11-26-2005, 07:46 AM

Most people who don't like his movies don't understand movies. They're the demographic who's responsible for the "dumbing down" of America, where you only get to see special effects, action, and big-name movie stars. The running mantra behind these moviegoers is "I'm going to see a movie, why should I think?" M. Night's movies, which can fare as possibly hookie, are stimulating movies that challenge the viewer. Now everyone complains about The Village being so stupid, oh I thought it was a horror movie. But he brings out some interesting themes. Is it civilization that corrupts or is it man that is inherently born evil? He's as close as we get to a modern-day Hitchcock. He may never be as good as him, but at least he will bring originality to the theater.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people who don't like his movies don't understand movies. They're the demographic who's responsible for the "dumbing down" of America, where you only get to see special effects, action, and big-name movie stars. The running mantra behind these moviegoers is "I'm going to see a movie, why should I think?" M. Night's movies, which can fare as possibly hookie, are stimulating movies that challenge the viewer. Now everyone complains about The Village being so stupid, oh I thought it was a horror movie. But he brings out some interesting themes. Is it civilization that corrupts or is it man that is inherently born evil? He's as close as we get to a modern-day Hitchcock. He may never be as good as him, but at least he will bring originality to the theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't use the old 'oh well, you didn't like it, you mustn't have understood it' argument. It's nearly always used lazily and incorrectly.

PS. I really liked The Village.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:08 AM

he's been catching a lot of guff for some of his movies...

but I think he's one of the most innovative and creative directors out there - he loves throwing you surprises and tells stories that NO ONE else is telling -

I mean, come on....

I have a feeling he's not angling for the "Surprise Twist" on this one, though we may get one - (like Mermaids being flesh eating vampires - I could see that - LOL) - but I personally have really enjoyed every single one of his films.

Some guys just don't get it - some of us don't want to watch Rambo part IV or "Yet More 2 Fast 2 Furious - we want new and inventive stories, songs and movies (and OOT posts - LOL) - - we don't want to be spoonfed our entertainment - we want to be surprised and find things we didn't think we'd find at the end and walk out going "whoa".

And he goes out of his way to do this and out of his way to obscure the plot of the story. Know how when you see a trailer and you know immediately what you're dealing with and what it's about - with M. Night, you never get enough to be able to catagorize it - even right now, I don't know if his new film is going to be a fantasy tale or some creepy dark horror story waiting to surface.

And I like that, cause I know he can tell a good story and I WANT to be surprised with something new...

Never understood the M. Night haters - never understood it and I don't now.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, see, water killed the aliens. They were invading a planet where the most prevelant resource killed them. The basis of the movie made no sense. In fact, most of the movie couldn't even have happened since they would have been killed from the air or dew or whatever. It doesn't work, get it?

Wait, I'm the dumb one?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:20 AM

the water scene you're talking about is basically, what, 5 minutes of a dramatic ending of an ENTIRE MOVIE that covers what the human condition does when confronted with some incredible situations it's never seen before.

The ending was a little hokey maybe in it's melodrama....(I'm sure he felt he needed an action ending and couldn't leave it openended) - but the whole story overall - seeing Joaquin Phoenix freak when they see the first camera shot of a strange being - being as in the dark as the main characters as to what's going on and whether the creatures are good or evil - oh yah - that's classic -

It's a story of the family and human condition brought to extremes - it could have been a tidal wave, an earthquake, or whatever - but M. Night likes to push things a bit in the Stephen King direction...LOL.

It's a testament to his work and his fans that he can release trailers like this that don't really reveal what the movie's about and still get people there - they know he's a storyteller first and foremost and they'll get a good story and some great performances from the actors. It's a real treat, IMHO.

I have made the mistake in the past of waiting till DVD for his films - no more... Now I catch them in the theater right away.

RB
Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 AM

and it discredits the ENTIRE movie

there are plenty of movies that examine the human condition yet they don't have the biggest plot hole i have ever seen in a major motion picture.

it comes down to complete laziness as a screenwriter and i think it's pretty pathetic.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 AM

meh, I didn't feel like it destroyed the whole 2 hrs. I had just witnessed.

agree to disagree on this one, I guess -

RB
Old 11-26-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget Unbreakable. His best film IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

the truth