Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Some thoughts on Josh W.\'s post

I am not saying that there won't be a point where a good players potential to learn will be so much smaller that his competition that it will be impossible to sustain his peak income, i just don't think that time has come. Your point about most of the money we make coming from very poor players is very true and very important.

However, this reminds of a schenids post a while back where he was attempting to determine his EV against certain opponents. While he didn't have enough data to determine anything conclusively, think about how big a difference it is if instead of being a small loser against 4 of the players at the table, you are a small winner. Now when you are talking very solid opponents, this is not an easy task. You can't simply improve your fundamental knowledge of te game and magically have an edge over these players.

But, i do think your game can progeress to the point where you can adapt correctly in each situation against each individual player, and this makes a very big difference in your WR. Again, this is all pretty elementary. I wouldn't even be posting about it in the first place, except i cringe every time i hear speculation about "when will the games dry up?" My only point is that if people focus on improving their game and not wondering if they will win $$$ 2 years from now, they will be in much better shape when that time rolls around.

6 months ago i thought i had missed my oppurtunity to suceed at limits beyond 10-20. Everyone said the games were tougher, and i coudln't win so i accepted that as an "ok thing," I had a conversation with schneids a few weeks ago where i said something like, "Man, 6 months ago, i thought i was a great poker player, i could find a good reason for every failure i had. Now i realize i just sucked." His response was, "You are going to think the same thing a year from now about your current game." It's probably true.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Gbe, the thing is, with how limit holdem works, there is so much short term variance, especially when you're edge is very small that a few things will happen...

A) It's a lot more frustrating when you're barely winning if at all.
B) you might start to feel like you don't even have an edge because the swings will be ginormous.
C) The rake starts to be a much more important factor. Even at 30/60 it takes like 1/3 big bet per hour off the table. When your edge is small, that hurts.

Ultimately you're right, we have to adapt. Good players will be fine. We might have to learn NL. We might have to play 10/20. We might have to learn tripple draw. Who knows. I do bet that in a few years these sick hourly's that are achievable to so many today will not be so easily achievable...but like you said, we are spoiled with our exorbitant rates and 'living' off something like $100 per hour isn't exactly gonna kill us if that's what it gets to.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:56 PM

There's a reply button for a reason, attention whore.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 PM

Do you ever post anything productive, or do you literally just go around from thread to thread and try to start [censored]? Congratualtions, you are the first person on my ingnore list.