Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:49 PM

Default $55 with Aces

1st round hand, I have $2000 stacks. I 3xBB raise from LP with AA, guy behind me ($1100) flat calls, SB calls.

Flop is JJQ, I bet 3/4 pot, LP flat calls (hmmm).

Turn 9 I check he bets 125 into ~400 pot, I call.

River is a blank, I check he bets all-in.

Your action? What do you think of how I played it?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: $55 with Aces

it seems like he would play AJ KJ QJ 99 TJ like this alot more then he would play a hand that you have beat. The only hand i could see you beating is AQ. I think i would lay this down here but its very close. the board was rainbow correct?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:11 PM

Agreed.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:57 PM

I basically freeze from the moment I see the flop. Maybe you're against a lone Q, but otherwise all hands are folding or trapping, unless you have certain people labelled as donks... And even if you wait a street to start betting, the Q will still pay off nicely, perhaps even moreso than if you continue bet flop.

I probably check/call flop and lead turn regardless. If LP bet flop I'll fold to a raise on turn most of the time, otherwise it depends. River I might do a blocking bet or check/call again at most. Most of the time, people slowplay and never get good value off their miracle flops... Or they start making confused bluffs. Even if lower pair spikes 2 outer on turn it will be sad, but not a tragedy.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:01 PM

Lay it down, you are almost always beat here. (I have confidence in that statement because I have not layed it down to this betting pattern several times). I think your line is fine, if you are super human you can lay down on the turn.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:15 PM

Your check is good on the river. Given the cards that are out there, and the way that your opp has been playing... I fold to any kind of bet on the river. Your beat.

And as for betting out on the river, that is also a big no no as you are only going to seemingly get called by something that beats you.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM

I think part of the problem is the line OP took actually. Whenever you plan on calling a bet simply hoping villain slows down on the river, something went wrong in my opinion. I probably do it a lot too, but in retrospect almost always regret it.

The flop bet is dubious because the hero is not getting enough information from it... What does a smooth call mean here? Whatever it means, it's a total disaster when out of position in this scenario. Hero will be too nervous to extract maximum value, and too reluctant of villain's strength to make a tough fold.

I don't know any elegant solution, I just think hero should try to predict when a smooth call will force him to freeze up on the turn. I hate to give free cards as much as anyone else, but KT and T9 are really unlikely holdings, so we're usually only letting pairs see 1 more card by starting out cautious and checking flop. Besides, the chosen line merely gave a free card on turn instead of flop.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:51 AM

I called because I'm and idiot it, and he showed KT, because he's an idiot.