Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Playing Poker instead of being a Freshman

Dude...as a recent college grad, make the most of your college years, cuz as soon as you're out and working full time, you wanna go back to getting drunk and [censored] around all the time w/ your buddies.

Nonetheless...the reason that you're missing your 8 am classes is because they're at 8 am. Freshmen always make the mistake of scheduling early classes. As you get older (i.e. 2nd semester frosh or sophmore) you get wise and schedule classes later. Eventually as a senior, I had class only on Tues. and Thursday from 10-4 with a couple evenings. That worked pretty well for my grades and my social life. You'll find the schedule that works for you.

What I think you should do, and this is what me and my buddies did all the time, is organize a home game in someone's room of 8 or so guys and play a real game for $20/wk. That'll get you better experience playing against real people and it's a social event.

Good luck Bud.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM

i was going through some of the same things that you talked about last year. I made a mistake of playing to much poker and had to withdraw from a few classes and also got a couple of sub par marks that hurt my gpa.

I think that its natrual for young kids to get hooked on something when they see a chance to make $ playing a 'game'.

I promised myself that this was not gonna happen this year and so far it has worked. I played a fair amount during the summer and i have learned to treat poker as a part time job now, instead of just playing whenever i feel like it. I only play a few hrs a week now (10-15) which lets me make some money and also does not take over my life.

As one poster has suggested the $ that comes with a degree will be a lot more than playing 2-4 poker right now. I think that you can (and should) still play poker because it is a good way for college kids to make some cash.

I also like the idea of having a poker social night. This allows you to both play and hang out with your friends.

I really think that things will be ok for you. The fact that you are aware of a possible problem is a good sign. I wish you the best of luck.

ejay
Old 09-30-2005, 06:45 PM

I was exactly in your spot except for the missing parties part. As of right now, school is WAY more important than poker. You're playing MICRO STAKES! That is not real money. Unless your hourly goes over $50/hr, concentrate school.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:04 AM

please listen to play2win, that's prbably some of the best advice I have heard from anyone in a logn time. Thanks play, it helped me as well as I am in a somewhat similar situation to the original poster.

Clark
Old 10-01-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was exactly in your spot except for the missing parties part. As of right now, school is WAY more important than poker. You're playing MICRO STAKES! That is not real money. Unless your hourly goes over $200/hr, concentrate school.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-01-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if your drop out you can play poker and go to parties!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-01-2005, 08:41 PM

I am glad that I could offer a perspective that you found valuable. I have only been out just under two years, and at my first "real" job for about 9 months. Trust me it is worth it! My poker advice might be off sometimes, but I have at least been successful in doing this and can offer a first hand experience. I actually dropped out at one point and came back to finish up, it was the best move I have made to date. Study hard and party hard! [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 04:46 AM

I know it might sound kind of gay coming from a guy, but reading this post made me all warm and fuzzy inside seeing how so many people who have never met each other and probably never will in their lives are offering help (yes, I guess there really are some nice people in this world) to each other so that the other will put their hardships behind them.

I've been in the same boat for a good 1-2 years now with poker and school, and personally I realize I should be working harder on my studies, but you honestly do only live once, and you should never regret something you did, just learn from your mistakes and move on with life. You may be getting worse grades in your classes which may seem like the end of the world to some of us, but in reality, if your able to make it to college, you probably still have a strong mindset and can fathom just having some rough grades in college. Playing Poker and slacking in grades is not nearly the worst of possible choices we could be making in life. Turn on the TV and you can't miss but seeing people who don't even have enough $ to consider playing poker online (let alone having a computer). There are people who are killing, dealing drugs, and scamming their employees in business, and I don't think playing poker into the wee hours in the morning is that large of a sin that you could be making.

Just my 2 cents.

HBomb
Old 10-02-2005, 05:44 PM

just play enough poker at the right times so you have $$ for beer and other [censored]. concentrate on getting good grades and bangin' girls [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 06:14 PM

Yes, I agree with you HBomb, it is a little cheesy. I also agree that playing poker is not a sin, there is absolutley nothing morally wrong with playing poker.

All morality aside, you have made a commitment to earn a degree. Why not do it the best that you can? The chances of making a living playing poker are slim. The chances of you forming a successful and profitable career as a professonal are very good, and very real. In fact you are laying the ground work right now!

In a few years you will be trying to get your first real job, where you will earn real money! I have been fortunate to be invloved in the hiring process because our engieering department is so small. Sometimes all that seperates a canidate from another is a few tenths of a GPA. If doing a little better in school and having a few more solid interpersonal relationships, is going to make you 10k a year more and help you get that job a few months earlier, why would you not strive for that? I don't think you will impress anyone by breaking out a spread sheet showing your winnings over the past few years after they check your 2.0 GPA.

But it is no sin! Maybe this is all because I miss college. But it is nice to converse with friendly people as opposed to the overly harsh chatter found in online gaming. One thing for sure is that we are all lucky. You are lucky to have the opportunity to go to college and have a computer. The question is what are you going to do with this lucky opportunity that you are only going to get once? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]