Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Default KQs from UTG

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 is a bit loose (VP$IP of 25 and PFR of 16.67%)
Earlier in the session when he first came to the table I was in the BB and he posted instead of waiting a few hands. Shows me he may possibly be an immpatient player with loose style

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

It seems he likes the flop. I decided to call him down to showdown at this point. (unless I improve)

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Anyone fold here as I have not improved my hand?

River: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Any thoughts on my play? Against tighter player I would play it differently but no telling what he is holding.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: KQs from UTG

I prefer to raise pre-flop. This is likely an example of a hand where raising pre-flop might have made it possible to make much beter decisions post-flop. Who knows.

As played I think the post-flop play looks good. I don't like to fold this in a heads-up pot against an aggro. opponent.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 PM

Raise preflop.

Bet the flop, then call down to a raise.

I hope you didnt let him in with QT.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:59 PM

SSH gives this a limp from UTG so I went with it. My PFR is low so maybe I need to adjust when the situation is called for.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Raising or calling with KQs in early position is a close decision. But if you are looking to improve your pfr stats then rasing with this hand could be used to manipulate the stats. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 05:11 PM

My humble opinon: Why raise preflop when your hand is so strong in a multiway pot? This is a limp for me, with this terrible position the flop is going to make or break any KQ. In this case, I would lead out on the flop. This is a draw-heavy board, so why give anyone a free card? Were you counting on MP1 to raise it? Even in the interest of protecting my hand, I would lead out the flop so he could reraise and fold any other players.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Raising purely for the sake of increasing your PFR is TERRIBLE. With that said, at LEAST raise KQs in these micro-limit games (I also raise KQo UTG as do many others).

Raise pre-flop.
Bet flop, if he raises call down to river.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:14 PM

Raise pre-flop. Even if you didn't raise PF you should be betting that flop right out. The turn and river cards don't fit well with the board so I think you're safe calling this down, but seriously, raise pre-flop and bet the flop right out.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:14 PM

You raise KQs for the same reason you raise AJs. They both fare well multi-way, but the reason they do well is because of their high card value. High card value trumps connectedness and suitedness.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 PM

You raise to get more money in the pot. It's not likely that anyone at the table has a better hand. Push your edge.