Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Defending from SB with K8o against LAG

I was having a discussion with a friend about whether you'd play K8o against a steal raise from the button. Button is very aggressive and will play back at you.

I said no, my friend said he thought maybe yes. Here's my thinking: against a RH, K8o is barely a favorite hot/cold. (Its something like 56-44.)

So in order for you to have an edge against the villain, you need to assume he's stealing with any two. If you make him even slighly selective, you're going to be a dog.

In addition to the equity reasons for not defending with K8o, there are also strategic reasons not to defend. In the hypothetical, villain is aggressive, and can be expected to play back at you. So regardless of whether you call and try to see a cheap flop, or three-bet to try and "take control" of the hand, you're going to need to hit the flop to feel comfortable. Obviously, you're a dog to do this, so the simple fact is that the majority of the time, you're going to find it very tricky to play this hand postflop.

In view of the dubious preflop equity that K8o has, and the fact that an aggressive opponent in positino will keep the heat on you after the flop, this hand strikes me as a pretty clear fold. Against the type of opponent who will fold the flop easily if it misses him, I'd be more inclined to play the hand.

Comments?

EDIT: My friend tells me that the actual read on the villain is that he will play back at you, but will fold to a re-raise. In my mind, this doesnt change the math any. Even if he will fold to a three-bet, in order to force him off a garbage bluff, you need to commit to spewing on the flop. I think this adds significant variance, with negligible gains in EV.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Defending from SB with K8o against LAG

[ QUOTE ]
In view of the dubious preflop equity that K8o has, and the fact that an aggressive opponent in positino will keep the heat on you after the flop, this hand strikes me as a pretty clear fold. Against the type of opponent who will fold the flop easily if it misses him, I'd be more inclined to play the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 AM

I think this type of situation has a lot to do with table image. When I fold this to a LAG I'm inviting him to steamroll me every chance he gets. Sometimes I will fold this, but many times I am going to play back at him and make his J7o steal bets pay.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 AM

Let me correct Derek again because I am the dubious friend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The villain will raise 50% of his cards from the button. The hero is in the SB with K8o, its a raise or fold scenario however in this case it might be wise to call.

If the Hero raises, 80% of the time the villain will call the 3-bet and use position on the flop to raise for a re-steal. If the hero 3-bets his is guaranteed to fold nearly every time.

The villain will always raise the flop HU guaranteed if I take the lead, its his standard line. I also said my standard line has become to 3-bet him on the flop, and he almost always folds.

If the Hero calls.... then there is the variable of the big blind.

Normally I fold this hand, but the concept of 3-betting this opponent is interesting to me. Does anyone just call?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the hero 3-bets his is guaranteed to fold nearly every time when he hits air. However, if he has a holding worthy of showdown, he will check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming this is also implicit in his behavior.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me correct Derek again because I am the dubious friend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The villain will raise 50% of his cards from the button. The hero is in the SB with K8o, its a raise or fold scenario however in this case it might be wise to call.

If the Hero raises, 80% of the time the villain will call the 3-bet and use position on the flop to raise for a re-steal. If the hero 3-bets his is guaranteed to fold nearly every time.

The villain will always raise the flop HU guaranteed if I take the lead, its his standard line. I also said my standard line has become to 3-bet him on the flop, and he almost always folds.

If the Hero calls.... then there is the variable of the big blind.

Normally I fold this hand, but the concept of 3-betting this opponent is interesting to me. Does anyone just call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one problem with this line. A villian like this doesn't exist. One who will raise 1/2 their hand on the button, auto raise the flop when you bet out, but then fold almost all the time you 3bet?

riiight.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the hero 3-bets his is guaranteed to fold nearly every time when he hits air. However, if he has a holding worthy of showdown, he will check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming this is also implicit in his behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

but of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He will auto-raise me reguardless of his holdings, and fold to a 3-bet if he has nothing (which is the vast majority of the time).

So... who 3-bets with K8o here?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 AM

So I'm in the small blind (from the subject)? Yeah, I don't like it. In addition to the problems already cited, you have to worry about BB. Occassionally he wakes up with a real hand. Even if he doesn't, just having him come along sucks. Playing K8o out of position in a three way pot for several bets is not fun. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So... who 3-bets with K8o here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me.

Rob
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm in the small blind (from the subject)? Yeah, I don't like it. In addition to the problems already cited, you have to worry about BB. Occassionally he wakes up with a real hand. Even if he doesn't, just having him come along sucks. Playing K8o out of position in a three way pot for several bets is not fun. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, no way I play this.