Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 04:23 AM

Default 10/20 short - a little bit too enthusiastic?

10/20 fivehanded. I've been playing very aggressive, showed down AK once in a big pot that doubled me (AK on board, A3 one pair called my 1.5 pot all in on the river) but that's all.

Folded to me on the button. BB (2100) is the A3-caller who had been playing loose, but tightened up considerably after he rebought. SB (1500) just sat doen four or five hands earlier and hadn't played anything yet. I don't even remember my cards, but I made it 80, my standard open. Both call.

Flop 882r
Pot ~240

Because I had been getting called more frequently when I bet the flop, but less preflop, I decided to let go of more hands after the flop. Especially with two callers. But not on this flop. I bet 220. SB thinks for 1 or 2 sec and calls, BB folds.

Turn: 6
Pot 440

Ef it, he doesn't have a nine. Fold five hands and then call a raise in the worst position with a connector or sth? I don't think so. Big pair? Maybe, we'll see what he does. He had seen me raise once before and not bet the flop, though (non-scary flop as well - except the guy who called me was scary. SB probably didn't know that though), so I think there's a decent chance he would have bet that. I want to represent a big pair of my own, take 2 or 3 secs as though I were thinking he might have a nine, and then I bet 300. He thinks longer but still calls.

River J
Pot 1040

He's got about 900 left. Either he's got it or he doesn't. Unless he has JJ, if that jack helped him by now it won't affect his decision, since I'm representing more then a pair of jacks. I quickly push.

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: 10/20 short - a little bit too enthusiastic?

over rationalization on all streets after flop. thats a decent flop to take a stab at but after that give it up. he's not calling on that flop w/o a hand that can showdown well, and given your shania he is gonna want to showdown with you.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:15 AM

I don't like it. Hands played this aggressively are generally bluffs. Particularly against an unknown, I think it's best to drop it after the turn.

And stop saying nine, it's an eight.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 AM

I would put him on pp, and given your table image it might be hard to convince him its no good. If he calls the flop and turn, he probably thinks he has the best hand, as a draw is unlikely. The jack doesnt change much. I prefer to make a play like this when my table image is especially tight, as it swings the play into +ev territory.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And stop saying nine, it's an eight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's kind of dumb on my part. Connection has been out all day, so I couldn't edit it anymore.

Anyway..

He had only seen me raise once, and I gave up on that hand (checked behind on flop and turn, folded to 2/3 pot river bet) even though the board was something like Q32 (I happened to have AK and the two players most likely to call me down had called). He didn't get to see my cards but I gave up, and I was hoping that by betting as opposed to doing nothing I would be representing *some* kind of hand, as opposed to that other hand. Big pair, maybe even an eight.

By the way, <font color="white">he thought for a LOOONG time and folded</font>.

I gave more thought to his hand than to what I would be representing, or actually HOW I would represent it. I kept thinking 'he can't call' so I bet. All in all, I didn't feel too pleased with the way I played, and I guess you agree...