Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Is this why my PFR keeps going up?

Blinds and UTG are way too loose for their own good. They're also very very weaktight postflop players. Whaddya think? How low should I be raising w/my pocket pairs here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 12-09-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Is this why my PFR keeps going up?

Yeah this is good. I usually start doing it with either 6's or 7's and up depending on the table. I wouldn't do it with super small pairs.

Shill
Old 12-09-2004, 07:20 PM

I don't believe in my post-flop skills enough to make this raise.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:25 PM

It really has little to do with how well you play post-flop. When 4+ players limp in, pocket pairs almost always have more then their fair share of pot equity. You do it for 2 reasons:

1) To build a pot if you do hit a set. People will not put you on a medium pair, and you will likely win a huge pot.

2) To look at a turn when everyone checks to you and you miss.

Shill
Old 12-09-2004, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this is good. I usually start doing it with either 6's or 7's and up depending on the table. I wouldn't do it with super small pairs.

Shill

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my cutoff is the same. With 2 more limpers I'd probably do it with 55 and well; for some reason 22-44 don't sit well with me enough to pull it off.

I guess this is why I've gone from VPIP22, PFR 8%, to VPIP 18%, PFR 12%. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 07:29 PM

If UTG+2 is very loose, then you could have a better hand than he does a fair amount of the time. If you would normally attempt a blind steal with 77 when it was folded to you, then I think you should raise here as well.

I would raise 77 here, but I'm not sure how far down I would go.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:31 PM

Interesting move;

I can understand it's appeal, if you can fold a few players on a hand where no one showed any strength, you might be able to take a small pot with a marginal hand.

How did it work for you? (I know we're not supposed to look at results, but I can't help myself [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Having said that, I agree that I probably wouldn't try this, as I still know my postflop play needs a lot more help.

Regards,
Francis
Old 12-09-2004, 07:40 PM

I guess this is why I've gone from VPIP22, PFR 8%, to VPIP 18%, PFR 12%

That is insane for a 10 man table. 2/3's of the hands you play are for raises, reminds me a lot of myself. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting move;

I can understand it's appeal, if you can fold a few players on a hand where no one showed any strength, you might be able to take a small pot with a marginal hand.

How did it work for you? (I know we're not supposed to look at results, but I can't help myself [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Having said that, I agree that I probably wouldn't try this, as I still know my postflop play needs a lot more help.

Regards,
Francis

[/ QUOTE ]
It was a boring hand postflop, which is why I just posted the preflop raise. 3 cards came (suits unimportant), everyone checked to me, I bet, and two people called. Another card came (again, suits unimportant), they checked to me, I bet, and one person called, the other folded. The river came, he checked, I bet, and he folded.

Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) To build a pot if you do hit a set. People will not put you on a medium pair, and you will likely win a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you PFR, doesn't that ruin the surprise?

I know what you're saying here, but something about this reasoning bugs me. It's like "Well, you raise a strong hand because you've got pot equity" and "Well, you raise a weak hand because if you hit your draw people will pay off!" Seems contradictory.

-- Scott