Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the best black poker player?
Paul Darden 27 100.00%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: G.A. self-test

[ QUOTE ]

I re-did the test with my favorite non-poker hobby. "SEX" and I now have discovered that I am a sex addict. I better go gambling soon. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

wow sex scores much much higer than gambling for me.
Though I had to skip some questions like " Did you often [HAVE SEX] until your last dollar was gone? " and I had to answer no to some questions like "Did you ever [HAVE SEX] to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties? "
Old 08-10-2005, 07:42 AM

You're right. I sounded too much like I was discounting your argument. I actually think you have a good idea w/ scoring yourself on another activity in your life. Its not a perfect idea, but its a fine place to start.

However, no self test is a substitute for the expertise of a mental health professional.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:41 AM

bump
Old 08-12-2005, 06:17 AM

If you replace the word gamble with alcohol, im in trouble, i cant remember how many i scored

dang

bump
Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 AM

I answered "Yes" to three, but I'm being lenient. With the "missing work or school", I have skipped a class once or twice to play in a small cash game with some friends, but I deemed the class to not be of importance that day. As a matter of fact, a lot of people in our circle have done that two or three times. But it has never been habitual, or affected our grades.

Coming back to win more after winning is not only natural to a poker player, it is correct (as long as your are a tight-aggressive player). Mike Caro makes mention in SS2 to the question "You were up $5,000 at one point, and now you're down to $1,200. Why didn't you quit when you were up $5,000?" The answer is, "Because I was up $5,000." You tend to play with a clearer head when you're winning. You're in that "zone", and you are making the correct reads, plays, laydown, and such. It's just easier to win more when you're winning already.

And finally, if you've played longer than expected. If a game is good, I mean, real good, it's hard to leave it. If Perry Perch, the local fish sits down with his three buddies Barry Bass, Timmy Trout, and Wally Walleye (all fish, if you haven't figured out), but you're approaching the four-hour limit you set on your session, you're going to be uneasy to get up from the table. If you've got nothing to do for the rest of the night, and nothing the next day, and you're thinking clearly, and making good decisions at the felt, why should you get up? It's like Christmas has come a little early this year! So, as Jingle Bells is running through your head, it (along with your common sense) sorta blocks out the notions of standing up and walking out.

There are other topics that I could tackle, like remorse being the same thing as the sting of a downswing, or even that G.A.'s definition of "gamble" refers mainly to -EV bets, and the intelligent poker player's definition of "gamble" almost always refers to +EV bets. But I'll end this essay right here. If you'd like me to continue with my spiel, PM me, or reply to this, and maybe I'll get it. I'm honestly thinking on hitting the hay, because it's 6:30 AM where I am.

Later everybody.

Rusty G.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:22 AM

Hi Rusty,

First of all, I just want to say congratulations on a successfull REBUMP [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] of a good thread and an excellent poll

I think your comments on the GA questionaire are valid, and your examples are very good. I had a few criticisms of the self test also that I posted in this thread. By all means continue to post your ideas on this topic.

On a sidenote, I am somewhat reluctant to criticize the test. I think it is useful, and I know for a fact that GA has improved the life of at least one person I know. I am afraid that some posters will read criticisms of the test, ignore their gambling problems. Hopefully I am wrong.

Regards,
Snowball

P.S. BUMP! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 10:14 AM

I got 5 but none of them for the reasons they want me to answer yes, eg a)I have felt remorse, because I have occassionally been undermined by the ignorance of other people, b)I have solved financial problems, because i make money by playing.

GA people have many times stated that its impossible to beat poker long term, that kind of ignorance makes them less than useless in my opinion.

Mack