Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: What to do when you stop getting paid off

Been there man. The fishies come in streaks just like the cards.

Also try to play during peak hours, and especially at 4-6 AM on the weekends.

And if you play on Party change your screename.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Top pair is by far more common than all stronger hands combined. You need to learn to play it well and not give people free cards etc by playing weak. It's very important that you win the pots where you have the best hand, even if its only middle pair. I think your problem is that you are losing tons of ev on these common "small pots" as you call them. I play very aggressively and go after those same pots, and it really adds up. Plus, it encourages other people to call you when you do flop something big. There is no avoiding aggression. It's optimal play. Name one top NL player who you wouldn't call very aggressive.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:55 PM

If you only play 2 pair or better, its no wonder you dont get paid off. If I was playing you, I would fold every time you bet (unless I could beat you 2 pair that is).

Also, it sounds like you may be playing weak tight.
I bet all kinds of flops with nothing if it looks like nobody else has nothing either.

Predictablity will kill you.

As for the suck outs, the odds are in your favor if you have a better hand than they do and you will win in the long run.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 PM

I think i may have unearthed the problem (although i haven't tested it out yet)...

I just put 2 and 2 toghether, and it seems my losing/breaking even streak starting soon after i started playing 3 tables, instead of my usuall 2 tables...

Anyone else think this could be making me make wrong plays? I do, because i am forced to pay less attention to players at a table when im at 3... I think this *might be the problems, ill try and see...
Old 04-06-2005, 09:15 PM

practice = play more hands = quicker decisions

eventually playing 4 or 5 tables full ring will be easy, granted the higher you play the, less you should multitable.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:17 AM

I wanted to echo the predictability issue as well.

I'm a very tight player and when I first started playing NL, people didn't know that and would play back at me thinking I was bluffing.

I absolutely destroyed the tables for several days before people figured out that I almost always had what my bets said I had.

After that, my action dropped by 75% or more and so did my win rate. While it let me steal with impunity, I no longer got much action on my big hands as quite often the entire table would fold to even a medium sized raise.

That has forced me to mix up my playing style to be less predictable and the action has returned.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:07 AM

you should give up poker
Old 04-07-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it sounds like you may be playing weak tight

[/ QUOTE ]

YA THINK?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 AM

have you ever considered learning to play?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
THey fold when I bet, but when they call, and they are severely dominated (headsup) , they river me?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are being honest with us and yourself, and the only problem is that you are getting unlucky on the river, then the only solution is ... keep playing. Your problem, as described, is simply bad luck. Time will correct this problem.

I'm guessing, however, there's more to your problem than you've decribed. Others have already touched on these possible problems .. weak tight ... predictable. Just be honest with yourself, uncover your weaknesses, and correct them. Blaming your losses on bad luck is often the first of many steps to discovering that you have other weaknesses to correct.