Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 03:44 PM

Default A Set w/ Dangerous Board

I limp with a pair of 8s; the flop brings two overcards and it is checked around. The turn makes my set, but it puts 3 to a straight and 3 to a flush on the board. I go into calldown mode, but should I fold this -- and if so, where? After the turn raise? On the river?

-- Scott

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 12-08-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: A Set w/ Dangerous Board

I would raise the first turn bet. You're way ahead of a lot of stuff the BB would bet out here with - especially after the flop was checked around. You don't have enough reason to fear a flush/straight yet and you can still improve. Don't fold.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise the first turn bet. You're way ahead of a lot of stuff the BB would bet out here with - especially after the flop was checked around. You don't have enough reason to fear a flush/straight yet and you can still improve. Don't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. What about when the A falls on the river? Do you like the river call in a 10 BB pot?

-- Scott
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Protect your hand against a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q, J, or 7 by raising the turn. If it comes back capped, call and hope to fill up on the river (you'd be getting 6-1 on a ~3-1 shot).

The river is where it becomes tricky -- do you fold UI if the turn is capped? Calling 1 closing the action is mandatory.

-d
Old 12-08-2004, 04:04 PM

The only hand you had beat on the turn that gets help fom an Ace is AA (edit: do I need to say you'll never find AA in thisspot? didn't think so.). At least call...
Old 12-08-2004, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. What about when the A falls on the river? Do you like the river call in a 10 BB pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I most definitely like a call more than a fold....you know you have a set, right? Seems like you're thinking of folding but that A changes nothing. If they had a straight/flush on the turn you're still behind, if they had 2 pair or improved to 2 pair you're still ahead.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only hand you had beat on the turn that gets help fom an Ace is AA (edit: do I need to say you'll never find AA in thisspot? didn't think so.). At least call...

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. For some reason I was thinking A made the QJ straight. I think I got that right during the actual play of the hand but thinking about it afterwards gave me time to get it wrong :-)

-- Scott