Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Who Makes the Most From the Sale of Gasoline?

[ QUOTE ]
Which taxes in theory aren't for the public good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the uses of the money, which will be spent on some public goods and on some things that are spent on discrete constituencies.

[ QUOTE ]

The theory regarding taxes on "windfall" profits seems to be that the price of a gallon of gas will be reduced. If that's not the theory then what is the rationale for the tax? If the price of a gallon of gas is reduced because there are less taxes then the effect is the same.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that a winfall tax on oil companies is totally irrational and will not reduce the price of a gallon of gas .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. I didn't realize that the lawmakers had some sor t of "economic rationale" behind this argument about windfall taxes. I agree with you completely - that's a totally ridiculous argument.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:06 PM

I think it is funny that the oil companies are blamed all the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Various American presidents and congresses have had several decades of opportunities to address this, and has also been informed by other countries on their experiences etc. without doing a s***. If the US would have raised the gasoline tax already in the 80s, the price of gasoline would be lower today than it is (it is the demand that has been allowed to grow too high).
Old 11-19-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is funny that the oil companies are blamed all the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Various American presidents and congresses have had several decades of opportunities to address this, and has also been informed by other countries on their experiences etc. without doing a s***. If the US would have raised the gasoline tax already in the 80s, the price of gasoline would be lower today than it is (it is the demand that has been allowed to grow too high).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, for a second there, I thought you were starting to make sense. Then you implied that congress should be taking a more assertive role in manipulating demand for commodities.

Communism still lives on I guess.

natedogg
Old 11-19-2005, 03:39 PM

The supply is manipulated [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. Good for the supplyers that the consuming countries give them free game [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Free game? I think the plan is to give them tax incentives to do so.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:48 PM

The oil companies have almost no influence on the price of gasoline and oil. They don't decide how much should be produced.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Then who builds or doesn't build the refineries and determines their production schedules?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then who builds or doesn't build the refineries and determines their production schedules?

[/ QUOTE ]

In reality, various governments. Most refineries are built as a result of political decision and thus politicians control the production roof.