Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Why not steal money and give it to Africans?

[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with this. If 100 starving african children that I didn't know had to be pushed off a cliff to save my little brother's life, I'd toss them in a second.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. To re-cast the problem a bit, suppose 10 starving Africans plan to kill my little brother in order to take his money in order to buy food for themselves so they can survive until the famine is over... The problem is identical -- one life vs. many lives. But there is absolutely no question about it -- if I am there, I shoot all 10 Africans right in the head (or as many as required to save the life of my little brother), and I'd look with contempt on anyone who would not be willing to do the same.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With thinking like that, I hope you go with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny that in my value system, you could think something 100x worse and I wouldn't wish anything even 1/100th as harmful on you. And yet my thinking is supposedly evil!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Hoping that one person dies is worse than your thinking that 100 people die? You may want to change your math again.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The value of a human life is relative.

Pick the person you cherish most in your life; your brother, your mom, your significant other, whomever. Let's say he/she is dying of a deadly illness, and to save him/her, (practicality aside) you have to authorize someone to drop me, my siblings and my parents off a cliff. It is implied that no one will be able to link you to the event, and that no one you know will be emotionally or financially affected by it.

What'll it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. Killing someone else to save your family? It's funny that you believe that is ok, (not to mention many more people), but that you think others share your perverted thinking.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny that you believe that is ok, (not to mention many more people), but that you think others share your perverted thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still didn't answer my question. Your loved one, or hmkpoker's family?

(oh, and read the thread. I'm not the only one)
Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Weird, I of course consider myself fundamentally good, somewhat geeky, pretty normal 20 year old. I am also someone who cares about other people probably too much in most walks of life.

I would kill any number of unknowns to save one family member. I would probably kill an entire continent of unknowns to save my entire family / friends. I don't feel like i'm that alone here.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM

Hmm just decided second section of that was a bit extreme because of guilt factors. But I don't see how someone can actually argue that if there are 10 people trying to harm a family member, how you can not kill them? If 10 guys trying to get money for food cos they will die if they don't get it attack your friend or family, you just let them get beaten up for moral reasons?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:08 PM

I haven't read the other posts, but while dying babies are important, stealing means you are taking away the rights of somebody else, which is more important than dying babies on both a practical level and on the grand philosophical level; however, if like in Robin Hood's case, you know the person you are stealing from has so much money that it doesn't harm him to help the needy and he is also a really bad person, maybe you could justify it on a moral level which outweights the stealing of individual rights, but I don't want to go down that path.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with this. If 100 starving african children that I didn't know had to be pushed off a cliff to save my little brother's life, I'd toss them in a second.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. To re-cast the problem a bit, suppose 10 starving Africans plan to kill my little brother in order to take his money in order to buy food for themselves so they can survive until the famine is over... The problem is identical -- one life vs. many lives. But there is absolutely no question about it -- if I am there, I shoot all 10 Africans right in the head (or as many as required to save the life of my little brother), and I'd look with contempt on anyone who would not be willing to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those aren't even close to the same thing. Killing 100 people so you can live versus killing 10 people in self defense is quite a bit different. You do understand that, right?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's funny that you believe that is ok, (not to mention many more people), but that you think others share your perverted thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still didn't answer my question. Your loved one, or hmkpoker's family?

(oh, and read the thread. I'm not the only one)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be able to figure out my answer by now. Stretch your mind a bit and try.

No, no one in this thread has agreed that they would kill 100 people to let their family member live. Only you.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weird, I of course consider myself fundamentally good, somewhat geeky, pretty normal 20 year old. I am also someone who cares about other people probably too much in most walks of life.

I would kill any number of unknowns to save one family member. I would probably kill an entire continent of unknowns to save my entire family / friends. I don't feel like i'm that alone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you and hmpoker are pulling my leg. No one is that sick.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, no one in this thread has agreed that they would kill 100 people to let their family member live. Only you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you and hmpoker are pulling my leg. No one is that sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, you still haven't answered my question.