Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 PM

Default what do i do about this ticket?

i'm a sophomore in college and i live about 30 min away so i brought my car to make going home and back easier. until you're a senior you're not allowed to park in the lots between 8am and 430pm, so i have to park on nearby streets.

last night i went to jewel to get food, parked in the lot to bring it in easily, then was planning on going to a friend's dorm to pick up a cd i needed for homework and park on the street when i returned. it turns out i didn't need the cd, so i forgot all about the car in the lot.

i go to class at 10 this morning and see a ticket on my car. i'm running late and only have one class so after class at 11 i pick up the ticket from the car and bring it inside to look at it. it's for $50!! this seems pretty insane -- the lot is empty, they're charging me 25k or so for tuition and almost 3k for food i don't even eat, now they want another $50.

i make a few random phone calls then go out to move the car. i find ANOTHER TICKET for ANOTHER $50! to add insult it takes me 20 min to find a spot and it's only 2 hour parking (it's never been this bad on the streets before).

according to the ticket, they have to be paid or appealed within 10 days and invalid appeals get charged another $10. it also says "vehicles with unsettled notices may be removed from property at the owners/operators expense." does this mean if i don't pay i'll be fine as long as i don't do it again?

should i (a) ignore both or (b) obviously appeal one and pay the other one?

this school will NEVER get a penny from me after i graduate, i can't stand how many dumb fees i'm paying that are useless.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: what do i do about this ticket?

Move the car, pay the tickets, read signs better. Unless you actually have connections with anyone on the campus police force, which you dont, Im sure, you are screwed.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Usually the school will hold your diplomas etc. until you pay up late fees, including tickets and stuff. You can probably make a reasonable case for having the second $50 one tossed out, but you're probably stuck paying the first one.

Swede
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 PM

so the ticket is from the school?

if so they will hold your grades, not allow you to register, etc, until you pay the tickets or the charges are reversed. You were clearly in the wrong (legally), the tickets will not be reversed.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 PM

You're definitely at fault for the first one - it seems like you're at fault for the second one as well

Why didn't you just move the car this morning after you found the first ticket?

The ticket amounts aren't even related to tuition/ancilliary fees. I don't understand the "I pay SO MUCH in tuition/books; why should I pay this ticket?" analogy.

If I were you I'd pay the first one, and try to appeal the second on the terms that you already were given a ticket for being in the lot for the specified time.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

i would probably just pay it considering i am a lazy moron.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 PM

yeah it's not an analogy saying i shouldn't pay it, it's just frustration that it's quite high for a parking ticket ($10 or $20 or 1/2 off for paying on time would be more reasonable imo)

i didn't move the car because i figured the ticket is valid for the whole day and i had homework due and was already late to class

i guess i'll pay the first one and get the second tossed based on these responses since i don't have much of a choice if the school really will hold things (since it's paid to the bursar that seems likely)
Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 PM

i didn't read any signs wrong, i made a mistake knowing what the rules were

guess i'll have to pay
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't move the car because i figured the ticket is valid for the whole day

[/ QUOTE ]

this is understandable - but may not hold up
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't move the car because i figured the ticket is valid for the whole day

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have been if you hadn't removed it. As soon as you said you took the ticket off and went inside I knew you were going to get another one, didn't you?