Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Another (weak?) AQ

I thought about calling the flop, but then I thought that it's not worth the risk.

No reads again.. I suck at getting reads, I know.

Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: manosarriba ( $2100 )
Seat 2: Mulperi ( $2350 )
Seat 4: Vakpkr ( $270 )
Seat 6: SAND4U ( $2665 )
Seat 8: RiverCapn ( $2615 )
Blinds(100/200)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Mulperi [ Qs Ac ]
manosarriba folds.
Mulperi raises [600].
Vakpkr folds.
SAND4U calls [500].
RiverCapn folds.

** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, 7h, Kc ]
SAND4U bets [700].
Mulperi folds.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Another (weak?) AQ

Here, I probably push preflop, though raising 3x BB isn't horrible.

However, I think I have to put my chips in here, though in a real game, I might not. Always depends on reads. There's just so much in the middle and so little you have behind.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Here, I probably push preflop, though raising 3x BB isn't horrible.

However, I think I have to put my chips in here, though in a real game, I might not. Always depends on reads. There's just so much in the middle and so little you have behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 1750 is so little.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:40 AM

I'm talking in relation to pot-size. t1600 in the middle, you've got t1700 behind. HU, I would have definitely moved it in here.

Based on the pot size, in general, folding MPTK is a very bad idea.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 AM

Yeah. If it was heads up or ITM my only worry would be how to get all of villains chips in the middle. But I am not so confident in plays like this on or near the bubble. I feel like I'm too easily behind villain here, and don't want to risk the tournament.

If I think about how I would play it in villains position though, I would check/call or check/raise TP or better and with a more mediocre holding or a complete bluff I might rather bet straight ahead and then fold to a raise.

I'm just so confident in my preflop play compared to this situation that I'd rather pass it when still I have a nice stack. This can easily be a leak. What do others think?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:29 AM

I raise 450-500 preflop, but more often just push. I think you gotta put it in the middle on the flop, and but him to the test. He's still going to have trouble calling with a weak king, and he might even call with a worst Q.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise 450-500 preflop, but more often just push. I think you gotta put it in the middle on the flop, and but him to the test. He's still going to have trouble calling with a weak king, and he might even call with a worst Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a read that villian is a big donk I can't see putting him on a weak king or queen. He called a substantisl raise and then leads 1/2 pot with a two broadway board. He has bet a third of his stack, but he has enough chips to get away from it. This is either a probe bet hoping you missed or a big hand trying to bait Hero. Your either way ahead or way behind. Hero can't raise without commiting his stack. I would call this and see if Villian has the stomach to bet the turn. If he bets the turn I probably let it go.

This seems kinda weak, but to villian it may look like a monster.

Is this terrible?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:07 AM

exactly how I play it.

pushing PF is not bad, but you're not desperate or anything. were you raising with the intention of calling a push? in this case, you should be doing the pushing yourself.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads again.. I suck at getting reads, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep looking at this, and it really highlights the importance of reads - what kind of hands has he been calling raises with? Would he call your raise with only JJ or better? Or is he capable of calling preflop with 88? or even KQ? 77?

Or more simply put - has he seen a lot of flops? Does he call a lot in this position? You need to be able to answer at least these simple questions.

Having insight to what he could be calling with will help you put him on a range of hands, and then you can evaluate what you may be facing and the likelihood of each

But in the absence of reads - if he is a halfway-decent player I think it most likely that he holds a high-middle pair like 88-JJ, or maybe AJ, and is hoping you have missed the flop (like most hands do). I re-raise all-in, hoping the same thing.

Next most likely of course is AK. In this case you are probably beat. Shrug. Next one starts in 21.7 seconds.

- w
Old 08-14-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Based on the pot size, in general, folding MPTK is a very bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]