Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: 100 films: The Godfather

And if I didn't needle you sometimes, you'd get sloppy. That's how it starts. And then one day some punk walks into a saloon, looking to make a name for himself, and you, you've been thinking you weren't what you are anymore for so long you actually come to believe it, and think anyone cares. You get to thinking time washed the stink away and it couldn't pull the wolves out of the dark anymore, wouldn't follow you to your grave. And that's when you get a bullet in the back of the head, because you thought you could turn and walk away from what you were. That it wouldn't be staring you straight in the face for the rest of your life.

Hombre, it doesn't work that way. Once you become an OOT gunslinger, you're a marked man, and some jittery corn-fed punk will always be looking to make a name for himself off your pooper. Your breed sits with its back to a wall for the rest of its life.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 AM

My friend, I was born ready.

I bin a man since forever, and a man may have only rocks to plough, but it's his job to plough them.

We'll leave the crying and lamenting to the women. We got work to be doing. The plough don't push itself.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's so little energy in em, is the problem. Charisma and mood are there in abundance, but energy... nah! Only James Caan really brings force to the screen, and so much so he nearly topples the mood, but his shooting sorts that out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Music with continuous crescendos fires up the testosterone but this gets your balls to do your thinking instead of your heart. Thinking from the heart is the objective. Godfather is full of tension. Intra-family relations are as tense as the family is close. Release of the tension, by beating up the sister's husband (an outsider), is momentary and not cathartic. Catharsis is reserved for moments of grander resolution, such as the confrontation between husband and wife over the fate of the kids -- or the elimination of All My Enemies On Earth.

Methinks we should be able to appreciate a musical piece with ups and downs, refrains and bridges, various instruments and humans behind the music, feeling, thinking and speaking.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:06 AM

...but I still don't LOVE it. and as love is subjective by definition, no amount of words is gonna change that.

That doesn't mean I don't have enourmous respect for it as a giant of cinema though.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:06 AM

I had to read your post twice to catch it fully, but think it makes a good point and was well said.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM

I didn't want to bump this right to the top...but I watched this film for the first time today !

WOW !!!! Thats all I have to say....I'm going to watch 2 & 3 in the coming days....

Wow JUST WOW !!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to bump this right to the top...but I watched this film for the first time today !

WOW !!!! Thats all I have to say....I'm going to watch 2 & 3 in the coming days....

Wow JUST WOW !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah dude, this is my favorite movie.