Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 05:52 PM

Default 100 films: The Godfather II

100 films: The Godfather

starring: Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, John Cazale, Michael V. Gazzo, and Lee Strasberg
written by: Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola, from the novel by Puzo
directed by: Francis Ford Coppola
R, 200 min, 1974, USA

As our story continues, Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) has moved the family to Nevada, where he attempts to expand into Las Vegas, Cuba, and beyond. He is engaged in a battle of wills with both investor Hyman Roth (Lee Strasberg) and the U.S. Senate, which is conducting investigations into organized crime. In a series of flashbacks, we learn how a young Vito Corleone (Robert DeNiro), after escaping the Sicilian Don who killed his family, becomes the feared man who would eventually carry judges and politicians in his pocket like loose change.

At first glance, it was certainly an unexpected decision to tell this story in segments, but in retrospect it was clearly the correct choice. Normally in a sequel like this, we would continue in a linear manner, following Michael as he expands his empire and fights his personal demons, and there's definitely enough material there to warrant an entire film, but by showing the backstory of Vito Coppola manages to add a new dimension to the entire story. What he's doing is ignoring the traditional means of doing a sequel and telling the saga as one whole story[1], and for that the Vito backstory is a vital part of the equation. In addition, the inclusion of Vito to Part two sets up a nice contrast that reminds us how far this family has come, and just how far Michael has strayed from his intended path. It is a bold choice for Coppola, but one that pays off large dividends.

Part of what separates The Godfather from your standard mafia films is that at it's core, this is not really a film about gangsters, but rather a character drama about people who just happen to be in the mafia. It's no surprise that these films dominated the acting categories at the Oscars[2], as these are actor's films, designed to showcase their unique abilities. No where is this more apparent than in the relationship between Micheal and Fredo (John Cazale). By Part Two, Michael has become an introspective, calculating man, content gather information through observation and rarely exposing any of his intentions unless necessary. As the film progresses, we see less and less compassion behind those eyes, and by the end it's clear we're looking at a man almost completely dead inside. By contrast, Fredo is a man who lives with his heart on his sleeve. He has never been given the respect he feels he deserves and strives to obtain it through a sort of friendship. He is the guy who shows people a good time, as if through that he can somehow create an identity for himself. But this overwhelming desire to be loved proves to be his downfall, as stronger, more intelligent men have no trouble exploiting it for their own purposes. Fredo is tricked into betraying his younger brother and it leads to him groveling for compassion while still trying to establish his worth. It's an amazing performance by Cazale, one of our more tragic actors. This is a man who made only five feature films[3] before dying of cancer, and all five of them were nominated for Best Picture. Sadly, he was never recognized in his lifetime.

In the flashbacks, Robert DeNiro is given the job of playing Brando's Vito as a young man. Naturally, the Method actor spent time in Sicily preparing for the role, and what he presents is a compassionate man with a cunning and forceful demeanor. He is the type of man who can get you to do what you never thought you would, simply by looking at you. I imagine he had that rare ability to look right through you, as if he were examining your soul. He has a force of will that demands your respect. DeNiro plays it nearly to perfection, even down to the Italian he must speak for the entire film, and he is somehow able to show us the evolution of his character, from an average citizen to the beginning stages of underworld boss.

Every year, as part of my Thanksgiving tradition, I take the time to watch The Godfather trilogy (well, at very least the first two) and every year I notice more and learn more about what a great film entails. This is a series that resonates from beginning to end because it is masterfully directed, shot, editied, designed, and written, but more importantly because it contains some of the most memorable performances in the history of cinema. It is a Thankgiving feast for any fan of the artistry of film and a must-see for anyone anywhere with even a passing interest in storytelling in any form.

[1] Naturally, he would re-edit the first 2 films to create one long, linear TV miniseries.

[2] Part One had Brando win Best Actor and claimed three nominations for Supporting Actor (James Caan, Al Pacino, and Robert Duvall). In Part Two DeNiro won Best Supporting Actor, Pacino was nominated for Best Actor, and the film had three more supporting nominations (Michael V. Gazzo, Lee Strasberg, and Talia Shire).

[3] They were: The Godfather (1972), The Conversation (1974), The Godfather: Part II (1974), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), and The Deer Hunter (1978).
Old 11-25-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: 100 films: The Godfather II

Haven't we been here recently?

Just kidding!

De Niro is excellent here, as is the entire parallel history construct - I believe many would fail dismally with such an approach, but Coppola manages it.

The picture you've chosen, Pryor, is probably my third favourite still from the movies (Gene Kelly on the lampost is first, Harold Lloyd hanging from the clock is second) - such a wonderful composition!

Nice Review.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The picture you've chosen, Pryor, is probably my third favourite still from the movies (Gene Kelly on the lampost is first, Harold Lloyd hanging from the clock is second) - such a wonderful composition!

[/ QUOTE ]

and somehow it took forever to find. go figure.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:35 PM

Ahh, this one and the duality. Michael wants to so bad do the "right" thing, but in the end he can't. He wants to be closer to Fredo, maybe stop the illegal activities, and spend more time at home. Yet, he continues the illegal activities, kills Fredo, and Kay leaves him.

One of my favorite scenes is when Kay is pointing out how blind michael is about their son. Then she tells him she had an abortion. The anger is perfect, because it doesn't just explode. You see it in his eyes and then finally he hits her (I do not condone the hitting of women at all). But, by him hitting her, he proves he is not as "cool headed" as we thought all along.

craig
Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 PM

I have never been blown away by a movie line the way I was by, "It wasn't a miscarriage, Michael."
Old 11-25-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never been blown away by a movie line the way I was by, "It wasn't a miscarriage, Michael."

[/ QUOTE ]

And the look in his eyes. Like he can't believe it. Classic how that anger builds up. But, I digress, because I already covered that.

craig
Old 11-26-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's an amazing performance by Cazale, one of our more tragic actors. This is a man who made only five feature films[3] before dying of cancer, and all five of them were nominated for Best Picture. Sadly, he was never recognized in his lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the things I like best about your reviews is you bring a lot of interesting tidbits like this into them. Not only does that show a little effort put into them, but, as in cases like these, sometimes there's a good pay-off to that effort. Fredo really was a more important part of the saga than people give him credit for, and Cazale did a great job with him. He was an incredibly good actor, and for what ever it's worth to we who never knew him, supposedly a pretty great guy, and his death so early was a real loss.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:50 AM

You've mentioned your Thanksgiving tradition of watching the Godfather films, and I thought it was as good as any though a little stranger than some. Now I've made the connection -- this isn't a family film in the Disney sense, but it is all about families and gives deep and loving attention to the notion. I can see how it fits into the family mode, after all. And it's more interesting to watch while digesting a colon-blocking holiday meal than the usual television.

Now let's all go out out to a bar and stab someone in the hand and garrote him!
Old 11-26-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've mentioned your Thanksgiving tradition of watching the Godfather films, and I thought it was as good as any though a little stranger than some. Now I've made the connection -- this isn't a family film in the Disney sense, but it is all about families and gives deep and loving attention to the notion. I can see how it fits into the family mode, after all. And it's more interesting to watch while digesting a colon-blocking holiday meal than the usual television.

[/ QUOTE ]

it started as a whim a couple years ago--i had no thanksgiving plans and i had just bought the dvd box set--but, yeah, i've found it an oddly fitting tradition. and it's got a little bit of everything, just like a good thanksgiving meal. the only problem is that every other year or so i end up watching the third one. and now a few people usually come over and watch it with me, so that's always nice.

oh, and i'm glad you enjoy the reviews. they help me follow and digest the films better.