Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-14-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Play a set of Cowboys with me ($33)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

Hero (t2210)
UTG (t775)
MP (t1250)
CO (t640)
Button (t2180)
SB (t945)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button calls t150, SB folds.

Flop: (t450) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t700</font>

<font color="blue"> Here's what I'd like to discuss:

1) What are your thoughts with my check on this board? Any concerns about a check-behind?

2) What is your interpretation of the small bet by villain?

3) What do you think about the reraise? The pot is laying villain 2:1 odds. Am I pricing him in for anything?

4) This hand is HU. Should I have any concerns about the flush draw? </font>
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Play a set of Cowboys with me ($33)

[ QUOTE ]
1) What are your thoughts with my check on this board? Any concerns about a check-behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) This is interesting. I usually like just betting out with my strong hands for many reasons. Villains like to call waaay too much on the flop. Sometimes I feel like they just call cont bets with air because they don't wanna be bullied. And sometimes they even have the brains to raise instead of calling, which would be cool here. Continuation bets don't get much respect in my experience. Donks sometimes seem to just call them with air because they don't want to feel bullied or something I guess. A check/raise however pretty much gives away the fact that you're holding a monster or maybe a semibluff or something. You usually don't get any more than villains initial bet, if even that. A continuation bet disguises your hand well, and villains need worse hands to raise your bet with than to call your checkraise.

[ QUOTE ]
2) What is your interpretation of the small bet by villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

2) I don't know. Could be a lot of hands in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
3) What do you think about the reraise? The pot is laying villain 2:1 odds. Am I pricing him in for anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the raise, not reraise.. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I think it's good that you raise pretty big. If they feel like calling, they will call. And a big raise looks more like a possible flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
4) This hand is HU. Should I have any concerns about the flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

4) Not much IMO. I think you should be concerned about getting their chips in the middle. It's just usually easiest to do it on the flop.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM

^^^ Just a bad beat post. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Not answering your questions at all but was reading the end of HOH2 last nite and there was an example where it asked if you should bet or slowplayb a monster in a situation like this.

Bascially he said it would look more strange a big part of the time if you raise 200 and then check that flop. IE, just by betting normally you have a better chance of getting called which is of course what you want in this hand.

Just something to think about in the future.

Oh, and next time, river quads. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM

OK I'll take a shot.

1) I like leading the flop. You raised preflop and are expected to CB so leading doesn't give away your hand, and against one opponent I would bet out 90% of the time no matter what the flop.

2) Since this is a 33 small bet by villain could be anything, AA, crap whatever.

3) Raising to 700 is fine but you could also make a case for many different plays here IMO. Only thing is that the raise may give away your hand which could have been avoided if you had led on the flop.

4) Well I think you know he could have a flush draw but you can't be overly worried about this heads up. The fact that there is a flush draw out there is all the more reason to bet the flop though.

Did I mention I would have bet the flop?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:06 PM

Funny all 3 of us like betting the flop haha.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny all 3 of us like betting the flop haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but Scuba has more posts than us three combined, so we're still outnumbered [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a bad beat post. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that?

[ QUOTE ]

Not answering your questions at all but was reading the end of HOH2 last nite and there was an example where it asked if you should bet or slowplayb a monster in a situation like this.

Bascially he said it would look more strange a big part of the time if you raise 200 and then check that flop. IE, just by betting normally you have a better chance of getting called which is of course what you want in this hand.

Just something to think about in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my thought is that I want to get some chips in the pot here. If I lead at the pot, against the other monster stack, I think I'm shutting down any calls on this board. If I check, I'm more likely to induce a bluff. Which is what he did. In the end, I want to make sure my laying villain 2:1 pot odds isn't a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and next time, river quads. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh... donkeys.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause I know what he had.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM

raise pf looks good.
id bet out on flop 300ish.

i dont particularly like the check raise line on the flop in this case for a couple reasons:

1 - there is a flush draw and some inside straight draws out there. button could have 2 hearts or somethign like Q10s, QJs or J10s. i dont want him checking behind, the turn coming the J of hearts and then having to poke out a bet to see where youre at and then have to fold to an all-in.

2 - you checking here looks incredibly suspicious. if you whiffed, you would have taken a stab at it most likely since you raise pf from the bb. your check means either you whiffed and would fold to a bet of 125 on that scary board, or it means that you hit a monster hand. in either case his 125 bet will give him his answer and let him out cheap if you hit your hand.

as for your checkraise on the flop, i like the amount - it give him slightly improper odds to call and to try to hit his flush and you still have a chance to hit your boat - if both happen, you have 4400 chips in level 3.

but i dont like that it got that far - unless this player you know to be horribly donk-y or amazingly tricky (why bother in a 33?), bet out 300.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:14 PM

I also like betting the flop here. You RRed, so leading w/ a bet seems like a good idea. Hopefully villain has AK or AQ and will RR or at least call. I like to bet 2/3rds pot - make it look like a continuation bet w/ JJ or QQ.

villain's small bet seems like a weak attempt to steal the pot since you checked, I see him folding here a large amount of the time to a RR.

Not really concerned about a flush draw - especially since the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is on the board.

If I do CR, I think the RR is a LITTLE higher than I go, I like to jack it to t550 or so - I want him to call and then I push on the turn. I like a CR here if I have a read that villain will most likely bluff here - as he did. My default, as I said earlier, is to bet though.

interested to hear how the rest of the hand played out...