Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Two 100NL 6-max hands with all-in action.

I 4-table the $50+5 sit'n'gos for a living, and now I've been playing around in the NL100 6-max tables a couple of times. I had only been in this table for a couple of orbits. Villain seems like an ok/good player, just like their stack size indicates. These two hands took place almost consecutively:

Turn: ($115.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($115.85) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $115.85

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($425.16)
UTG ($70.92)
Hero ($100)
Button ($114.83)
SB ($157.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($14.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, Hero goes all-in

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($433.46)
Button ($76.07)
Hero ($100.85)
BB ($118.38)
UTG ($145.60)
MP ($100)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50. MP posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $1, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $2.

Flop: ($11) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $14</font>, Hero goes all-in
Old 09-06-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Two 100NL 6-max hands with all-in action.

Hand 1 is meh. He'll probably call you with an overpair or fold, I dunno, but either way a set is unlikely so you're looking at a marginal edge but with a huge overbet.

Hand 2 is not so great. If he's raising for information with KQ he's off the hook, if he's building a pot with a set he got you. No need to protect from draws here.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:41 AM

It shows that you are a tournament player.

Hand 2 is pretty bad. A more standard line here would be to call, lead the turn and fold if raised. Call, check call turn, lead river for half pot and fold if raised is another option. (EDIT: And give concideration to dumping the hand preflop.)
Old 09-06-2005, 03:45 AM

Hand 1 is okay. I would probably just fold to the reraise preflop since I don't want to play guessing games after the flop with an 8 kicker and because reverse implied odds are a bitch. Still, if you 4 table 50+5s I'm sure you're a good enough player to get away from an weak ace with deep stacks.

Flop is good. The other option is bet/3 bet all in, but if he smooth calls your bet on the flop and you brick on the turn you're in a sticky situation. The only problem with the checkraise push is that it reeks of a semibluff.

Hand 2 can't be good. I probably check/call -&gt; lead turn here, but I'd be interested in hearing how others would play this.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:05 AM

Heh yeah, I know, I'm just a STT push-fold-monkey [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I didn't like my line in hand 2 either, but I just couldn't figure out a more reasonable way. If I would've had position, I would've gladly called the raise. But since I'm first to act, what good is it to call and then lead the turn instead of raising for value right now? I can only see downsides to calling and then leading. The opponent just might improve, and somehow I think that I have a better chance of getting called by weaker hands when I push the flop. Remember, hand 1 happend just 2 hands ago and the villain is the same person. They might just think that I'm pushing them around or something. Fishy AK (or even Ax) calls are also better with two cards to come instead of just one.

Checking the turn sounds much more interesting though. Now why didn't I think of that? My hand is pretty safe against draws and I should certainly get more value from crappy hands, maybe even induce a bluff. But can I still escape from a better hand? Will you call a turn all-in? Would you check/raise or check/call the turn? Also, if the turn gets checked by villain too, how about the river? I would make some kind of a blocking bet, but what should I do if raised?

You don't need to answer all of my silly questions.. Ty for helping out a cash game newbie. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit:
wtfsvi said:

[ QUOTE ]
(EDIT: And give concideration to dumping the hand preflop.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you seriously fold AQo here? My only consideration was whether to raise or call.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:59 AM

AQ is much less of a big hand once the stack sizes are as large as 100bb, like they are in cash games. You want hands that draws to the nuts or near nuts (when I say near nuts, read sets). AQo doesn't do that very well for you. (Allthough flopping broadway is probably the most profatble situation I can think of in SSNL, that won't happen very often.)

Reraising preflop would not be so bad. Calling puts you in an awkward spot though. Most of the time I'll be reraising or folding here, and which one I chose depends largely on villains raising range. (And on the probability of him calling me down with 88 on a K55 board. And on how likely he is to call my reraise with AJ/KQ or even worse aces, and then go broke when he flops top pair. And if he is so kind that he will come over the top with AA-QQ/AK so I can fold, I'm definitly reraising.) Anyway, being in a raised multiway pot with AQo in terrible position and without the initiative just sucks.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:14 AM

Makes sense to me. I didn't have such spesific reads, so I just thought that AQ should be good enough against their ranges. But I see now that I should've probably raised instead of calling.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:58 AM

Dont like any of it.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:28 PM

I don't like either play. This isn't a tournament.

The first hand... you have a monster. Don't move all-in. Extract.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The first hand... you have a monster. Don't move all-in. Extract.

[/ QUOTE ]

A monster? I have MPTK and the nut flush draw. Not exactly a monster by my standards. What do you suggest? Call, most likely miss my flush draw and give villain a free card?