Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: I Really Hate Some People Here

What affiliate send out advice on playing? What affiliate would turn down a player who might only be playing 1-2 months then leave? What affiliate wants you spending poker money on books vs playing?

I helped one of my affilates get better so he wouldn't get depressed and leave the site. Now that crypto is such a vaccum, I don't care if he stays or goes.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really no biggie.
Most of the people who come here don't have the patience to read enough to improve their game, and most of those that do lack the discipline to implement what they've learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't speak for everyone... but I know that's exactly what I did.

When I first started playing poker online last September, I blew $300 in 3 deposits over the course of a week. Being a college student at the time with no source of income, that was a huge blow to me and I swore that I wouldn't do it again.

I started looking for ways to inmprove my game. I first found ITH, where the people there were great in helping out a complete noob. I realized that I saw way too many flops (about 40%) only ever raised Aces, Kings and sometime Queens, never bet unless I had the nuts (I was a calling station) and chased all the wrong way. Simply put, I was a fish.

Soon after through ITH I found 2+2. From reading many many posts (the hand forums simply are amasing at the wealth of info there is, even when they're not your hands) and reading some 2+2 books (I personally hate reading and you'd never seen me with a book before poker) I completely turned my poker game around and now do well for myself.

So, if it worked for me, why shouldn't I believe that it would work for others?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM

But you were actively looking for 2+2 or something like it. It's not like you saw it in the chatbox one day and just followed the link.
It's not like 2+2 is hiding, it's there for anyone with an internet connection and a modicum of curiosity about poker to find.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Grandgnu,, your statement makes no sense.
It either benefits good players or it does not.
Which one is it?
Your argument is an affiliate will train a bad poker player to be a good poker player?I do not think thats their buisness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's look at it from an affiliates point of view.

Do I want to sign up a losing player who will become discouraged and not play frequently?

Or do I want a player who plays frequently and does well enough to generate lots of rake which is profitable for both of us?

I know if I was an affiliate, I'd want option 2. There are some people out there with deals where they offer to stake you with $50 or $75 free of charge (but don't mention rakeback) and offer to give you advice on how to turn that small starting amount into something much larger. They want you to win because they'll make a boatload if you're a long-term player, and it's no risk to them.

Why do so many rakeback offers appear in these forums? Because forums like these are more likely to have long-term winners than advertising rakeback in the local newspaper.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM

Yesterday I was playing and a guy at two of my tables asked the table once if anyone was interested in rakeback and he got a person interested. They were in discussion and I felt like mentioning rakebackreview or the affiliate that I use, who I really like, but instead chose to say nothing and I'm not sure where it went but I feel like I should have done something so that this guy didn't get scammed.

In the future I think I will mention the affiliate that I use, since I feel comfortable doing that, even though I wouldn't get anything from said affiliate for the referral. At least this way the fish may get rakeback, which is really good, and 2+2 is not mentioned, which is also good. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:32 PM

If I was an affiliate, I would want as many of both as possible. It is not either or.

WiteKnite
Old 08-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Why do so many posters assume that anybody who spams the online games for rakeback players is going to scam them?

Online games are better now than they were five years ago - the sky is not falling, and more readers at 2+2 will not kill your income. Relax.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you were actively looking for 2+2 or something like it. It's not like you saw it in the chatbox one day and just followed the link.
It's not like 2+2 is hiding, it's there for anyone with an internet connection and a modicum of curiosity about poker to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you are correct that anyone with curiosity can find out (I remember not too long ago I did a trial search for poker forums and 2+2 was 3rd on google). The problem is, a lot of these fish don't know they're not good. They think what they're doing is correct.

Maybe you were just a natural but as a former fish, trust me, I know. I didn't understand why I was losing so much early on and just chalked it up as people getting lucky against me or me having bad luck. I saw poker as a game of luck.

It wasn't until I started reading up on things did I learn that I couldn't have been more wrong. So why even risk a fish learning that? While I'm internet savvy enough to find sources to better my game on the internet, a lot of people aren't.

My father buys and sells a lot of stuff on ebay. I had to set up a series of desktop icons that will pretty much do everything for him. I even had to write him step-by-step instructions on how to do things like check his email on AOL and use the scanner (which just consists of pressing 1 button). My father is very intelligent... he just doesn't know his way around a computer. He wanted to find a website once and I had to talk him through how to use a Yahoo search.

If my father played poker (which he does but not online because he doesn't trust it), there would be no way in hell he could find 2+2. I'm sure my father isn't the only person out there like this.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:18 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
I don't approve of educating the fish about anything, rakeback or how to play the game well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The generous strategy posters put their knowledge out there for everyone, not just for those of us lucky enough to find this place before a certain date. This would probably be a much more useful site if they'd locked the doors long before either one of us got here, but I'm personally glad they didn't.

Martin
Old 08-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Poddytrained...Bathr0om...
NOPE. Not Me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]