Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 AM

Default should i just set him in?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($198.60)
Hero ($1293.35)
UTG ($412.95)
Button ($1371.95)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($12) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: ($12) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $16.

River: ($60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $32</font>

typical short stack donk, should i just put him in here? hes got like 140 left on the river

what do you think his river bet means? flush? 2-pair? set? do you think your average short stack donk will call off the rest of his stack here with TPTK, 2-pair, set, etc.? i'm still undecided whether this is one of those places where he'd only call with a flush, or whether he'd go to the felt with 2-pair/set on a scary board like this

i also probably could have raised more on the turn

or maybe just raise to 90 and call a push? maybe get just a little bit more value from sets/2-pair?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: should i just set him in?

betting only half of the pot on the river scares me.

looks like a valuebet from hitting a flush.

i probably would've raised him 5-6x his bet.. so up to 40-48 and reevaluated when the river came.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 PM

If he's a donk, he's not folding a set here. I wonder how often he folds QT or calls with AQ etc. All-in looks good.

You are always behind when he 3-bets, but he'll call the all-in with worst hands often enough imo.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:15 PM

That lead on the turn looks like a flush draw to me. Wouldn't a set or 2 pair 3-bet the turn? Wouldn't 99 raise preflop? 55 seems to be the only likely set. If it's a blocker, it'll work, cause I'm not raising here.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM

I like raising the turn to $40 and then pushing the river. I think you see 2-pr more often than not.

As played I put him all-in. That might fold lower flushes (unlikely, I know, but not impossible) and more importantly I think it folds KJ, which is the hand I am afraid of here. Villain woke up when the 9 hit so that card either helped him or he has a set of 10's or 5's that is slow-playing for 'value'.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM

I agree with beavens etc here. Although there are other hands that can be played like this, the turn bet more than anything else indicates that villain picked up a flush draw. River looks like its in line with a standard value bet. Not to mention the fact that you dont even have the best straight.

Getting about 3:1 on my money, I'd probably call and grit my teeth...

Edit: For some reason i didn't even read 4/2's post before posting myself. I don't think my reasoning and conclusion are wrong, but I think his line is a better more masterful. Getting better hands to fold is one of the keys to winning at poker; making my line comparatively weak/passive [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Even so, the raise/push play I think requires a better than average read of your opponent. Use that line, but use with caustion?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 PM

i am never folding out a small flush on the river

never
Old 11-14-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am never folding out a small flush on the river

never

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you and everyone else - the difference is folding a low flush with 4 on the board. they'll pump it up, where a half-decent player knows where they stand.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: should i just set him in? *DELETED*

Post deleted by RubbleRobble
Old 11-14-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, am I missing something here? there is no 4-flush on that board...

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he was referring to the villian's standpoint about not throwing away a flush.

and i was just using an example - not referring to the current hand!